Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What can you do? I got this Thermaltake Silent PurePower, but this thing is far from silent. It's 4x louder then all my other components combined! It's not rattling or anything. The noise is strictly airflow apparently. If I just cover the vent with my hand, it's half as quiet.

I opened up the PSU. The fans are wired very tightly. It would be real tough to fit a couple 20 ohm resistors inside this box without things being an electrical hazard. But I still think it could survive on a lower fan speed, because the air being pushed out isnt hot or anything.

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
Based on what you said about the psu, seems as though the only things you can do is either live with the psu or replace it. You could unsolder the fan and replace it with a quieter fan, though I would only reccomend that if your up to the task. If you need a new psu there are plenty around that offer fan speed control

·
Banned
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I know, but I just bought this thing. And I kind of consider my computer now completed, unless something breaks and needs replacement. I'll live with it I guess. I just don't like Thermaltake putting the word "Silent" on a product that is louder then the half dozen number of PSU's I have tried in the past, all of which were cheapies.

·
Premium Member
8,701 Posts
Can you remove the Grill,this can cause a lot of noise, only remove it if there are NO small children and pets around

·
Banned
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
kodi said:
Can you remove the Grill,this can cause a lot of noise, only remove it if there are NO small children and pets around
Well the grill is sleek and thin, with no rough edges. I don't think it would have much air friction. Here's exactly what it looks like:

·
Premium Member
8,701 Posts
Give it a try it might suprise you just how much noise is created by the air passing through the grill.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a antec true power 2.0 480w.
It makes so little noise it is unbeliveable!
If you want a powersupply that is so slient that you think you are deaf get the antec phantom.

·
Banned
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
ampshock said:
I have a antec true power 2.0 480w.
It makes so little noise it is unbeliveable!
If you want a powersupply that is so slient that you think you are deaf get the antec phantom.
This is interesting. I was looking at those and thinking "They must be expensive for a reason."
Would this be just as quiet?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103928
Do you think 430w is a stable ammount for my specs? Check my profile for my specs. I'll be jumping to an athlon64 setup soon, but those run at a lower voltage right?

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Some time it is better to get a bigger PSU than what you need. It does not have to work as hard and therefore less heat and less coolings needed and the fans run slower and quieter. :grin: Plus gives you some room for updrades. :sayyes:

·
Banned
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
oldmn said:
Some time it is better to get a bigger PSU than what you need. It does not have to work as hard and therefore less heat and less coolings needed and the fans run slower and quieter. :grin: Plus gives you some room for updrades. :sayyes:
Yeah but the 480w is $20 more. Is there anyway for me to even measure the total ammount of watts that my system is currently using? I'd like to see how close I am to my PSU's limit.
Also these truepower 2's have way too many jacks I can't use, and only 2 strands of the regular molex jacks. I dunno if that is enough for me. I have 6 devices that use the 4pin molex jacks. 2 120mm fans, 2 s-ata's, a radeon, and a dvd-rw.

·
Banned
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
oldmn said:
You have ALL the good links, don't ya?

According to that, it says I only need 297 watts max. Or like 318 when I get the athlon64 setup. Odd how AMD64 uses a lower voltage but more amps.

So anyways, I should be safe buying that truepower 2.0 430 watt for 70 bucks. I really cant afford anymore then that anyways. And I am ganna have to sell my Thermaltake PSU on ebay to try and cut my loses. I mean, I love this PSU. It's powerful as hell, with great construction, and very thick wires, but it is quite noisy. That TruePower 2.0 series only helps prove my point that 120mm fans are the solution to all of life's problems.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If noise is a concern, Enermax or Antec are great options, but its rather unfortunate that youll have to sell your current psu.

·
Banned
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok the Antec TruePower 2.0 is still a tad bit out of my budget, but I have been looking at these alternatives with 120mm fans:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817182011
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817182018

They're basically identicle, except one is ATX and the other is ATX2.0. I don't exactly know what that means. The ATX2.0 one has "dual 12 volt lines". Not sure how they would help me either, or if it would only complicate things.

I also need to know if the ATX2.0 comes with that 4PIN connector that goes into my motherboard. This ATX2.0 has a 24pin main power connector for the mobo, where the last 4 pins can be broken away, so the normal style 20pin connector is revealed. Are those 4 pins that break away also the 4pin connector that I plug into my mobo?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
@ FunkyPoopMonkey
I highly recommend that you not get either of those PSUs. They are not of quality make and will only let you down when you need it the most...or give you a lifetime of mystery problems.

As your sharp eye noticed, the newer ATX 2.0 standard includes the extra +12V line and 24-pin power connector to supply the newer more power hungry CPUs and video cards. The snap-off 4-pin connector is in addition to the existing 4-pin connector. If you don't use the snap-off 4-pin connector, just tuck it away safely.

My new favorite PSU to recommend is the Antec SmartPower 2.0 SP-500 500W. At ~$76 delivered, it is the cheapest quality PSU I've seen. You may find it cheaper if you search a bit. This particular PSU is also very quiet with its unique two-fan system where the inner fan blows full time and the outer fan only comes on when things get hot...mine comes on very rarely....way cool :cool:

Keep us posted with your progress

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

Possible alternate solution. Want a new case and a great power supply that is quiet. Take a look at the Antec Sonata II that has an Antec 450 PS that is very quiet and a wonderful case with front connections. This will set you back about 100 bucks, plus shipping and NewEgg.com and ZipZoomFly.com have been running specials on them. Might be worth a look. I am running by Athlon 3700+ San Diego in this case right now and it runs very good with plenty of power.

·
Banned
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
please said:
@ FunkyPoopMonkey
I highly recommend that you not get either of those PSUs. They are not of quality make and will only let you down when you need it the most...or give you a lifetime of mystery problems.

As your sharp eye noticed, the newer ATX 2.0 standard includes the extra +12V line and 24-pin power connector to supply the newer more power hungry CPUs and video cards. The snap-off 4-pin connector is in addition to the existing 4-pin connector. If you don't use the snap-off 4-pin connector, just tuck it away safely.

My new favorite PSU to recommend is the Antec SmartPower 2.0 SP-500 500W. At ~$76 delivered, it is the cheapest quality PSU I've seen. You may find it cheaper if you search a bit. This particular PSU is also very quiet with its unique two-fan system where the inner fan blows full time and the outer fan only comes on when things get hot...mine comes on very rarely....way cool :cool:
Dang ok. But I don't have that kind of money to spare. Was there something wrong with this $60 one? Because this is already out of my budget:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103927
I don't need 500 watts. We found out my system only uses 300 at it's peak. Also I was told to go with a 120mm fan because they are actually quiet. You say go with that dual fan one, where the back fan only comes on when things are hot, but I know my luck. It would be on ALL the time, and be just as noisy as my thermaltake one.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.