Tech Support banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having this issue for the past few weeks. My PC had been operating smoothly for almost a year, then these crashes suddenly started happening. They most often occur when I’m starting up the computer, but can also happen after I’ve been using it for some time.

These crashes never seem to produce minidumps. When I get to the BSoD, there’s just the error code and a percentage tracker that stays at 0%.

The machine has a Ryzen 5 3600 processor, AMD Radeon RX 5700 graphics card, MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX motherboard, and 16 GB RAM.

I read that overclocking is often a cause of this issue, but I have not overclocked my machine. I used memtest86, which didn’t find anything wrong with my RAM. I used chkdsk, which didn’t find anything wrong either. I’ve gone through and made sure all of my drivers are up to date. I’ve reseated my RAM. I downloaded coretemp but found that my cpu temperature is pretty reasonable (usually 44-80 degrees C depending on what I’m doing). I updated my bios with m-flash, and, when that didn’t work, I reinstalled windows. The crashes have persisted, which makes me think it could be a hardware problem, but I don’t know which component would be causing the issue.

I’m really stumped, and I’d appreciate any suggestions on what to try next.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My bad. I didn't see that post. Here are my answers to all the questions:

· OS - Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7 or Vista?: Windows 10
· x86 (32-bit) or x64 ?: x64
· What was the original installed OS on the system?: Windows 10
· Is the OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) or full retail version (YOU purchased it from retailer)?: N/A I think. I assembled this PC at home.
· Approximate age of system (hardware): About 1 year.
· Approximate age of OS installation (if you know): Installed about 1 year ago. I reinstalled Windows 10 a few days ago but it did not fix the problem.
· Have you re-installed the OS?: Yes.
· CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
· Video Card: AMD Radeon RX 5700
· MotherBoard (if NOT a laptop): MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX
· Power Supply - brand & wattage (if NOT a laptop): Thermaltake / 450W
· System Manufacturer: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. (Not sure if this is right, just writing what's listed in System Information)
· Exact model number (if laptop, check label on bottom): MS-7B84
Laptop or Desktop?: Desktop

Unfortunately, I cannot run the BSOD dump app because my computer never produces dump files when I have these WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR BSODs. I looked at the pinned post about not getting dump files (the 2010 one), but I can't tell if it's relevant to Windows 10.

Hope this helps.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
28,099 Posts
Make sure all Windows updates are installed. Looking over what you've done, and guessing you do some game playing, my first guess would be an inadequate PSU. If you have access to another one, see how that does. If you decide to replace, look for 650-700W Gold in a major brand.

Reactions: jcgriff2

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Make sure all Windows updates are installed. Looking over what you've done, and guessing you do some game playing, my first guess would be an inadequate PSU. If you have access to another one, see how that does. If you decide to replace, look for 650-700W Gold in a major brand.
Thanks for the advice!

I have all the updates installed, but I hadn't even thought about the PSU. I'll definitely look into that tomorrow.

Just out of curiosity, do you think there's any chance this could be a CPU problem?

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
28,099 Posts
At this point there are still other possibilities.

Reactions: jcgriff2

·
Administrator, Manager, Microsoft Support, MVP
34,388 Posts
Just out of curiosity, do you think there's any chance this could be a CPU problem?
At this point there are still other possibilities.
Agree.

You answered the questions - Thank You - but did not attach the resulting zip file from the app, unless I missed it.

The app produces 27 system files in addition to copying out any dumps.

So please run the app and attach the zip file.

Thank you.

Regards. . .
jcgriff2

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looking over what you've done, and guessing you do some game playing, my first guess would be an inadequate PSU. If you have access to another one, see how that does. If you decide to replace, look for 650-700W Gold in a major brand.
Ok, so I purchased an EVGA 700W Gold PSU and swapped it into my PC. Unfortunately, the problem has persisted.

The PSU explanation made a lot of sense to me, especially considering how many of the crashes occur while starting up the PC.

Agree.

You answered the questions - Thank You - but did not attach the resulting zip file from the app, unless I missed it.

The app produces 27 system files in addition to copying out any dumps.

So please run the app and attach the zip file.

Thank you.

Regards. . .
jcgriff2
Ah, I see. I think I misunderstood the instructions the first time I saw them. I just ran the app and the .zip file should be attached.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts