Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have recently been experiencing a huge hard drive problem.
my bios finds me drive properly as 8.445 gb
windows me says it is only a 2.0 gb drive

where in the heck did the extra 6.4 gb's go?

very frustrating , the smallest program sets me over the drives capacity according to windows...

i desperately need some help here please

feel free to email me any suggestions for a fix at :[email protected]

thank you ahead of time , jonny

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
yes is supposed to be in large mode ,

when i click run and enter fdisk this is the display info it gives for the drive...

partition ....status .....type ....volume label .... mbytes .... system .... usage
c:1 .... a .... pri dos .... 2060 .... fat32 .... 26%

total disk space is 8056 mbytes (1mbyte = 1048756 bytes)

thats what it shows for this drive , i have no idea what that means but maybe you do?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
type: local disk
file system :fat32
used space :2,012,583,680 bytes 1.87gb
free space : 139,526,144bytes 137mb

capacity :2,156,109,824bytes 2.0gb

thats the c:/ properties thru windows

my bios lists this drive as : ata 66 8445mb

and label on the drive says 8445mb : seagate model st38421a 8.4gb

·
retired
1,966 Posts
The BIOS should identify a hdd by it's model ID, which for your hdd is 'st38421a'. When the bios identifies a hdd with a generic description that's usually an indicator the hdd's controller is failing.
So, if you have data you want to keep I suggest you not use the pc until you have media to copy the data onto, (another hdd, or CD burner).

Fdisk should never be used on hdd's with an OS you intend to continue using, as it will write to the hdd even if no action is specified, which can corrupt the hdd.
It can only be used passively at the dos prompt as fdisk /status, any other use results in some data to be written to the hdd.

Fdisk is not a windows application and it's use within windows can possibly render the OS useless.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Stu_computer said:
The BIOS should identify a hdd by it's model ID, which for your hdd is 'st38421a'. When the bios identifies a hdd with a generic description that's usually an indicator the hdd's controller is failing.
So, if you have data you want to keep I suggest you not use the pc until you have media to copy the data onto, (another hdd, or CD burner).

Fdisk should never be used on hdd's with an OS you intend to continue using, as it will write to the hdd even if no action is specified, which can corrupt the hdd.
It can only be used passively at the dos prompt as fdisk /status, any other use results in some data to be written to the hdd.

Fdisk is not a windows application and it's use within windows can possibly render the OS useless.
1st thing... try using Partition Magic, maybe it can help...

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Please provide some more specs on your system:

Processor, Motherboard (Make/Model), Amount of RAM for starters.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.