Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings.

I picked up an older machine the other day (pentium 200 mmx). It needed a hard drive, so I pulled my 4 gig out of my other machine. I fdisked it, deleted all primary partitions, and set the primary partition as the full drive. However, I could only get it to recognise 1036mb instead of the full 4112. When I installed win 98, it only read the drive capacity as 1 gig.

So, I disconnected the main drive on my other machine, and plugged the 4 gig in and ran fdisk on it. It recognised all 4112 mb, so I set the primary partition. When I put it back in the other machine, it recognised the primary dos partition as 4112 mbytes. But underneath, it said the total disk space was only 1036 mbytes. I formatted it like this and installed win98. Everything seems to be working alright and the disk capacity says 4 gigs.

I'm wondering why it doesn't want to recognise the full size of the hard drive. Any thoughts??? If the disk capacity says 4 gigs even though total disk space is only reading 1036 mb when I run fdisk what is it recognising as the drive capacity?

Another weird thing that I ran into was the drive configuration. I also put a cdrom in and the only way it would read either drive was by setting the hard drive as the primary master and the cd rom as the secondary slave, I couldn't run the two on the same cable.

The system seems to be working okay, but I'd like to figure these little problems out. Any ideas?

S

·
0 Posts
Welcome to Tech Support Forums zander

What brand of hard drive is it?

You may need to move some jumpers on the drive.

It could have EZ-Bios or one of those disc partitioning programs installed on it.

I may need to be wiped or written with zeros.

Once you post the mfg. we will have a better idea as to what steps to take next.....:D

The brand of motherboard would also help if you can find it.

One last thing what size does the bios recognize the drive as?

·
Registered
100 Posts
If it ever had EZ Bios you may need to hit the Master Boot Record. This is done by typing "C:Fdisk_mbr"
Its hard to tell if it happend since the only acknowledgement is a fast HD spin.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, thanks for responding.
The hard drive is a Seagate, Medalist 432. It came out of a Compaq presario that originally had the drive partitioned. I was using this drive as a backup drive when I put a new hd in my other machine, and I thought I had removed the partition, since it read at full capacity.

As for the motherboard, Ive been trying to find out who the manufacturer is. The bios release numbers (in the bottom corner of the startup screen) is 51-0505-001437-00111111-071595-m1531/43-001_10_tx_pro-h. I thought it was an AMI board, but they told me it's not. I found an id program that I ran on it, and it said the manufacturer code it detected was PC CHIPS.

I have the jumpers on the hd set on master, and the jumpers on the cdrom set on slave.

Where would I check the bios to see what it reads it as?

S

·
0 Posts
While booting up you should see press DELETE to enter bios or something like that...:D

S

·
0 Posts
OK see if you can get it to use LBA.

This will be in the bios also in the first screen either MAIN or Standard bios setup.

It will have user auto cyl hds and sectors in there.

Or you might want to try auto detect and see what it comes up with...:D

·
Registered
852 Posts
Using LBA I have this funny feeling you will only see 2 gigs. Some of the earlier soc7 bioses would only see 2 gig without a flash- sometimes simply not available.

You can buy a nice Tyan (or several other brands) soc7 board for way under 100.00 that will support huge hard drives and AMD chips up to 550. And your current chip will do just fine in there, along with all the rest of your hardware.

S

·
0 Posts
Don't give up so easy JAMMAN...:D

If it will read 2 gig. then why is it coming up with 1036 this number makes no sense to me.....:confused:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Success!!!!!!!!

I went into the standard section in the bios setup menu, and the user setting was reading 1039 mbytes, so I selected auto and it changed it immediately to 4112. Then when I rebooted, the bios recognised the full capacity of the drive.

Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it.

S

·
0 Posts
JAMMAN

The only time your wrong with these things is when you see smoke....:jump2: ..........LOL

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.