Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all-

Lately, whenever I misspell an internet address, I get directed to a very dishonest looking page from VeriSign. Is this an Internet-wide thing or a piece of spyware they put on my computer?

This is really starting to piss me off; I'd much rather see a "this page cannot be displayed" error than that page. Why would they put up a "service" like that if not to capitalize off it and take advantage of netizens in some way?

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay, I've edited my HOSTS file in order to block verisign's sitefinder, but whenever I misspell a domain name, it attempts to go to http://sitefinder.verisign.com/lpc?url=www.techsupportfor.com&host=misspelled.com before saying "action cancelled", which leads me to believe that the misspelled domain goes through a different verisign server before going to sitefinder. Anyone know how I can find out what that server's IP is?

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
Have you been living on Mars lately? :D VeriSign is the master domain name server for the .COM and .NET, they recently decided to turn it into a money making deal by redirecting any bad URL to their site to see if they could sell you one. :rolleyes: It's been all over the technical news...

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow. That sucks.

Well, anyone that doesn't want that crap, here's what you do:

Open your HOSTS file (has no extension; it should be in your \windows\ directory or whatever directory windows uses)

add the following lines:

127.0.0.1 verisign.com
127.0.0.1 sitefinder.verisign.com

That should give you a "page can not be displayed" error whenever you misspell an address instead of that cookie-ridden craphouse that VeriSign has set up.

it makes me wonder why I don't just memorize IP addresses...

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It looks as if there is a stopsitefinder.com in the works. I can't wait to see how that turns out.

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
I think some heavyweights in the Internet game that are pretty put out about the VeriSign garbage, so I don't think it'll take too long for someone to jerk the rug out from under them. It's really not that difficult to setup an alternate top level domain server and start redirecting requests to that address. :)

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
BTW, instead of

127.0.0.1 sitefinder.verisign.com

try:

0.0.0.0 sitefinder.verisign.com

It resolves faster and immediately puts up the response. :)

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, saw that earlier on another HOSTS editing tutorial. Yeah, I tried that out with doubleclick and it said "Action Cancelled" lightning fast. Who would have thought someone could be so happy to see an error message?

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I actually saw it spelled "Veri$ign" on a website I went to...hmm, that's faintly reminiscent to another blood sucker we all know so well

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.