Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright i kno PSU is the big thing. i just upgraded and tought it couldnt handle it and its still handeling it just a little weird.

my voltages are as follows
+12 is running at +13.7
+5 is running at +5.7

i assume the +12 is a little high there. the psu is a good one cost me like 70 bucks a year ago its an ultra psu but i assume due to it being 400 watts i dont think its powerfull enough.

i calculated the wattage requirements and that brings me to 309 watts + 30% = way over the 400 mark.

id assume 550 watts should be enough ? ill go to the local shop see what they have tonight.

let me know ur thoughts if im correct :grin: wich i am :p just want to hear some more opinions

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Ultra is not a good PSU - its been on FAR (free after rebate) for 4 months in a row. The complaints on it are massive and only those intending to have a free PSU for desperate times are nipping in for it. With knowledgeable individuals it has caused damage and the Ultra customer support is ridiculous as well as the warranty.

The 12V is way too high. Your risking a damaged-beyond-repair "everything" by running that. Your 5V is bad as the 5V shouldn't fluctuate that much (harddrives). Your PSU is obviously needing more amps and watts than is provided. Its overloaded and it'll blow. The Ultra's I think have a single 12V rail running around 25A and 300W peak. In actual fact it has been known to fail on stress testing and not power on subsequently even with 300W loads.

550W is good for a 400W demand for another year at least, yes. Although bear in mind ... the 550W PSU's now are selling at similar prices to the 600-650W so it would be worthwhile purchasing one of those.

:grin:

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Don't get a Thermaltake. Read the Power Supply sticky in my sig, and go for a Silverstone, Seasonic, FSP, Antec or OCZ. Thermaltakes are only medium quality, and are simply not worth the money.

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
I think its excellent :grin:

The 500W+ Toughpowers have always done well wherever I've come across them.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
same here ... reviews state and tests aswell that the toughpower series have stepped up. and my personal experience has been very well with thermaltake over the past especially in the powersupply department. what they suck at making is chip coolers. performance wise it is compared to the OCZ 700 watt series and is doing quite nicely.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Well, in the end, it's up to you. But I'll tell you about my last experience with Thermaltake.

I had the following system:
AMD Athlon64 X2 4200+
Albatron K8SLI
1GB GeIL DDR 400
2x Albatron 7800GTX's
3x Seagate 250GB SATA
2x Seagate 80GB ATA
2 ROM's
Thermaltake Purepower 680W

On their website, Thermaltake claim the 680W puts out a total of 52A across the three +12V rails. I bought the unit based on that, thinking it would supply my system well. After 1 year, it burned out. When I pulled it out, I looked at the side chart, only to see:
+12V1 - 15A
+12V2 - 15A
+12V3 - 8A

No wonder it burned out - it couldn't handle what I'd asked it to pull. And yet, to this day, Thermaltake still claim it delivers 52A.

My advice: don't pay any attention to what they claim. Listen to the H/W team members who wrote that Power Supply sticky, who know what they're talking about. Get one of the brands I listed above, and don't look back.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
thats the purepower ;) have a read here: http://www.techspot.com/review/5-thermaltake_toughpower_750w/
and
http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=940&pageID=2435

exact one i ordered BTW just the modular one

regarding the 680w purepower i read a couple reviews (not listed on their site anymore) it is on the box and also ont hes ticker stating 15 15 and 8 amperes wich is a total of 38 amperes. truely, before you even stuff a psu in your case always look at it if its up to snuff. edit: i assume this is the PSU u described ? http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/product/Power/PurePower/w0049/w0049.asp
did you atleast send it back and told them that it sucked ? TT usually does refunds pretty easily.
considering this review http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=745&pageID=1260 its true of the 15 + 15 + 8 amps this was back in 2005

the one i ordered is rated on [email protected] each that adds to a total of 60amperes wich is definatly enough for my mid gaming rig. the only issue wich might occur is fitting this in there ... since it might be rather large but we will see.

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Well Indoril hit reply as I started typing :grin:

The Enermax (many esp Liberty) and the Thermaltake PSU's have had a ridiculous year like the Antec SP2 which has been one of the worst supplies there is out there this year. Too many DOA and RMA's and sudden failures with bad CRS. But that doesn't negate the better supplies of the brands proven very reliable and excellent buys over time. I had a Liberty 620W die out on me instantly before moving to Seasonic 650W temporarily and then to Enermax Galaxy. Now this Enermax Galaxy is better than the PC Power&Cooling 1000W PSU's I've come across though the lower series models are disastrous nowadays. Its the same with the Antec TruePower2 and 3's, they are the excellent and by no way faulty of the Antec lines. Antecs were suffering due to the caps they chose which were manufactured by Fuhjyyu not because of their OEM supplier Channelwell; who also does ToughPower BTW. ToughPower uses Hitachi 390uf caps which are noted as dealing well with heat and marked as rated for up to 85C. The 140mm fan is manufactured by Yate Loon; which is a top maker of quiet fans.

A good review here:
http://techgage.com/article/thermaltake_toughpower_modular_750w_psu

I run a ToughPower on one of the office systems at work, and so do 3 friends of mine in professional systems and its always done strongly for them. Under load it achieves 85% efficiency and the rails are solid with minimal ripple. Also reading around pro testers, there's nothing that can generally be applied to this PSU I've seen that's negative about it anywhere, but good. Hence I don't see anything but reliability about it at all, but its your choice and you can be cautious if you will and buy another PSU.

If the price is high there are definitely better buys... how much is it costing you mr.fraggs?

OCZ GameXStream is one for a better price. Although it doesn't match this exactly, it is proven very solid. A Seasonic or Tagan I'd definitely recommend over this one though.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
MaverickUK said:
Indoril Nerevar if that's true, legally and morally, they can be sued for breaking the trade descriptions act.
Take a look here. That's the Thermaltake page in question.

Here are some screenprints from that page:

However, the Purepower 680W is not the original subject of this thread.

Kalim said:
OCZ GameXStream is one for a better price. Although it doesn't match this exactly, it is proven very solid. A Seasonic or Tagan I'd definitely recommend over this one though.
I agree. Go with a Seasonic or OCZ. Using a PSU in a games system is very different from using one in a business computer, and from my experience, you're much better off getting a quality unit from one of the brands I listed earlier. I will say no more and let you decide for yourself.

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
That is a lie and huge deception on their part as every reviewer had different details to what they publish there. For one its known to be 60% efficient and only delivering 38A max on 12V rails. Like here, another well-known reviewer quoted these figures not those from the website. Now this means they must have used another source for their specifications or either the same source back then was correct, but heck, you can and should sue them for that. At the very least to get a full refund.

BTW, in the office, the system with the ToughPower is used for heavy multimedia, graphics intensive medical work. Its usually under 700W loads 10-14 hours/day without much fluctuations in the voltages. Most gamers won't reach these levels unless with top end spec systems and games.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok i sent u the email indoril. the guy said there were two versions. one out for like a month and the other one replaced the same one with the new specs so indoril might have gottan one from an old batch.

i got my toughpower in and it looks good cable managements good and the voltages are down ALOT ! not 13.7 or 5.7 its now 12.4 and 5.3 so thats good

·
Registered
399 Posts
toughpower is not at all similar to purepower, theyre different manufacturers. toughpower uses channel well, same suppliers as antec had, but thankfully they dont use fuhjyyu caps in the toughpower.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
I have seen four tough power units now over at our local PSU college computer labs. They are decent units, they are each pulling challenging full spec Media publishing computers, alot of adobe photo shop / photography editing, DVD movie making media & recording stuff. (some of those tasks will make a computer grind away hard rendering for 3 to 4 hours @ max cpu usage)

So far they are rock stable, I have put sensorview on all four of them as I have been waiting for the customary Thermaltake sour-powerpuke. But they dont wobble, not even under heavy load.

I am assisting a friend of mine who runs one of the media classes, he asked for hardware troubleshooing and upgrade assistance to help with walk-in students, I couldnt refuse. Of course the student edition software available to me now may have persuaded me! :grin:

From what I have seen, I would not hesitate to own the Toughpower unit. They would not be my first choice for the money, but hey they look very good so far!

I am like my collegues & Kalim though, I have had such a bad experience with that brand that I dont push them ever, there are too many other safer choices.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.