Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My topic here...
http://www.techsupportforum.com/f15/newbie-question-power-supply-motherboard-131902.html
Kind of turned into one about power supplies.

My question is, with my Pentium 4 3ghz with hyperthreading, nVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra, DVD drive, cd drive, hard drive, a gig of RAM, what power supply would I need?

I am also interested in buying a PhysX card some day, maybe with in a year, possibly.

For my current setup, what would I need? 550, 700, 900, 1100, and what about with a physics card?

If you need more information, ask me for it and I will try to provide it.

Thanks very much.

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
My question is, with my Pentium 4 3ghz with hyperthreading, nVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra, DVD drive, cd drive, hard drive, a gig of RAM, what power supply would I need?

I am also interested in buying a PhysX card some day, maybe with in a year, possibly.
Hi,

Not to stray off your question, but what you have said is for this (listed above), what would I need. That is one question that my perception would be at least a bare minimum of a 600+ watt supply.

Then, you mention adding something else in the near future. What I am saying is that it might take one thing for what you have, but something different to "future proof" what you want.

Where I am coming from is that you don't want to do this now and then have to redo it in a year or so when you begin to add components. You want to spend one time only and when you add something, plug it in and go....don't get in the postion by buying too small that you have to buy a stronger power supply as you add things.

Therefore, I think that dai's answer is most appropriate. The 700 to 750 watt (brand name only) units would future proof you for a good long time and provide you with a system that would have power to spare at this time. That would be my recommendation based upon what you said.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah, there we go, I just didn't do the Surge Compensation and Capacitor Aging things. I put 30% and 35%, respectively.

399W, 30% more is 518.7w, which sounds about right. Plus with a possible PhysX card in a year or two, (I am guessing) another hundred or two watts on that.

Looks like a 700 Watt is the way to go. Thank you very much. Any recommendations for a 700w?

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

If you look around, I think it is TigerDirect (but could be wrong) that has given the $25 rebate again on the OCZ GameXStream 700. That is a very powerful and cool looking unit.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another concern...

Somebody else on these forums a long time back told me that Dell uses a modded power supply, and replacing it is not possible. Does anybody know if this is true? Do I have to worry about it? I don't really want to waste my time or money on something that will not work.

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
Many large computer mfg like dell used proprietary components like the psu in the past, while it can be a pita to get a replacement (and expensive if gotten from dell) there are good quality replacements available (pc power & cooling makes dell replacement psu's). However, recent mfg'd dell (HP etc) computers typically use rebranded asus or other mfg mobos which will take standard psu's with no problem

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
dell have used stanard atx power supplies from the p4 onwards,so any off the shelf atx will be fine

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Many large computer mfg like dell used proprietary components like the psu in the past, while it can be a pita to get a replacement (and expensive if gotten from dell) there are good quality replacements available (pc power & cooling makes dell replacement psu's). However, recent mfg'd dell (HP etc) computers typically use rebranded asus or other mfg mobos which will take standard psu's with no problem
Would a Dell 8300 from about three years ago be concidered "recent"?

And if my computer does have one of those special PSUs, how would I know the new PSU I am getting would be compatable with my Dell?

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
you posted this
Pentium 4 3ghz
that means standard atx
put the plugs to the m/board alongside one another and the same coloured wires should go to the same pins on both

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Go for a PC Power&Cooling (any above 700W), the OCZ GameXstream 850W, the Seasonic 750W or the SilverStone Zeus 750W etc. The OCZ GXS 750W cannot push high loads so while its good for <500W its not for higher than that if you ever be reaching those loads. Its known to burn out at those peaks in the recent months and take out mobos with it unfortunately.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.