Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'm new to this forum community and i hope you guys can help me out! I just purchased a new custom computer and a geforce 7600gs. Most of the game that i want to buy require a DirectX 9.0 compatible sound card.
So first off which, if not all sound blaster cards are 9.0 compatible? Secondly, between the x-fi series and the audigy series, which are the best cards for the money?
I'm looking at a Sound Blaster Audigy 4 7.1 24 Bit OEM for $39.99 and under the cards application requirements, it says that an 8.1 directx graphics card is needed. Does this mean that the card will not work with my 7600gs since it is a directx9.0?
I'm also looking at a Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty Pro Series for $106.99. I want something with amazing audio but not a hack out of the wallet. I think i might be willing to spend the $100.00 on the x-fi but i just want some professional expertise before i make any final decisions.
Thank you for your help and I look forward to your replies!!

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
when it says an 8.1 card is needed it means 8.1 or better
i find the audigy 2 meets my needs but if you want the best sound go with the xfi

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I own F.E.A.R., Total War 2, & Battlefield 2. Under F.E.A.R.'s minimum system requirements it says "16-bit DirectX 9.0 combliant sound card." So since the audigy 4 is only 8.1 the games wont work?

·
TSF Team Emeritus
3,450 Posts
Huh. Strange. I just checked a couple games on my desk and about 4 of them all 'require' a DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card.
Funy thing is i don't even have a sound card installed, i use onboard sound and i've never had a problem with any of these games.

Unless you really want a dedicated sound card (i wouldn't recommend it, not much difference from onboard sound, except for the price :grin: ) I wouldn't bother getting one, the games should work fine.

it says that an 8.1 directx graphics card is needed. Does this mean that the card will not work with my 7600gs since it is a directx9.0?
DirectX 9 is the next iteration after DirectX 8, so basically, your card is 'better' than what the game requires, so again, you shouldn't have any problems here.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
dai said:
i find the audigy 2 meets my needs
Tiber Septim said:
Unless you really want a dedicated sound card (i wouldn't recommend it, not much difference from onboard sound, except for the price ) I wouldn't bother getting one, the games should work fine.
I agree with both dai and Tiber. My advice: go for an Audigy 2. They're fairly cheap, and they do a very nice job. I have one in my system, and I love it. There's no real need to go any higher, but I don't like using onboard audio. So, go for the middle ground.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I own F.E.A.R., Total War 2, & Battlefield 2. Under F.E.A.R.'s minimum system requirements it says "16-bit DirectX 9.0 combliant sound card." So since the audigy 4 is only 8.1 the games wont work?
dude i have that card and all off them games and i can tell you it will work with these games.. lol to say it wont is been dumb lol

·
Registered
290 Posts
i know i just get upset some time after dieing in css... like 10 times in a row.. sorry guys

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.