Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
what spyware prog monitors windows TEMP\cookies folder?

i have quite a bit of protection. i have spysweeper, sg, spyblaster, spybot, winpatrol. the thing is that ewido(my trial is over) will detect things like a "com" file that all the others wont detect in my Windows TEMP\cookies folder. the main reason i posted this is for the Realplyr cookie that goes into that directory from watching the videos on nfl.com. Adaware SE will detect the "real" cookies (which is a txt file) that will gain hits as i surf the web. these are the only 2 progs that detect each of these cookies out of all of them. what do i do??
note: i like winpatrol because it lets me filter cookies BUT thats only for 1 directory as far as i know and i had to put that on the main cookie directory and not the TEMP folder

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
They all should scan those folders. You should also be deleting the contents of the Temp folder regularly. I don't see what you are worried about since you seem to be well-protected already.

·
TSF Security Manager, Emeritus
52,197 Posts
uripyores is right about Ewido...only the real-time protection and the auto-update features time out. You can still update it's definitions from the user interface, and use it as an excellent scanner.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
thx 4 the replies. so are u saying u manually delete your TEMP/cookie folder all the time?? ive done that every now and then but that realplyr cookie hit count has probably been like a hundred b4 i found out about spyware a while back. this spyware stuff is ridicoulous. i will definetely try out that cookiewall prog because thats what i need...and its free.
as far as ewido, i always update it manually these days yet it doesnt detect the realplyr cookie. im not a big fan of manually scans so sometimes that could be some wks b4 that happens...especially since there are multiple user accts and people using the cpu.

·
Registered
722 Posts
You could schedule disk cleanup to run at set times [of your choice] with the built in task scheduler.
from M$
Open Scheduled Tasks.
Double-click Add Scheduled Task.
Follow the instructions in the Scheduled Task Wizard.

To open Scheduled Tasks, click Start, click All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Scheduled Tasks.
If you want to configure advanced settings for the task, select the Open advanced properties for this task when I click Finish check box on the final page of the wizard.
Confirm that the system date and time on your computer are accurate, because Scheduled Tasks relies on this information to run scheduled tasks. To verify or change this information, double-click the time indicator on the taskbar.
If you leave the password blank and you want the task to run when you are logged on, open the task. On the Task tab, select the Run only if logged on check box. The task will run at its scheduled time when the user who created the task is logged on to the computer.

·
TSF Security Manager, Emeritus
52,197 Posts
Well, you can use a tool like CleanUp to empty them, and much more....if you have XP, be sure to use the settings recommended below:

The Temp folders should be cleaned out periodically as installation programs and hijack programs leave a lot of junk there. Download CleanUp! (Alternate Link if main link doesn't work) and install it.

*NOTE* Cleanup deletes EVERYTHING out of temp/temporary folders and does not make backups. If you have any documents or programs that are saved in any Temporary Folders, please make a backup of these before running CleanUp! If you have a 64 bit Operating System do NOT run Cleanup and let me know as we will use another utility.

Run Cleanup! using the following configuration:

1. Click Options...
2. Set the slider to Standard CleanUp!
3. Uncheck the following:
  • Delete Newsgroup cache
    [*]Delete Newsgroup Subscriptions
    [*]Scan local drives for temporary files
4. Click OK
5. Press the CleanUp! button to start the program. Reboot/logoff when prompted.
* CleanUp! will not create any backups!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
interesting. the scheduler might be a good thing for me to do...like weekly. i know it actually helps to have cookies, etc to speed up my internet surfing but is that only for the main cookie folder? im really just trying to get rid of the spyware stuff that my programs are overlooking in that TEMP\cookie directory. im trying this cookiewall prog. now and maybe will have to search for another cookie filtering prog. if that doesnt work.
i misspoke about ewido. it doesnt even let that realplyr cookie put itself onto my system. from my experience...its one of the best progs along w/ spysweeper. i dont think i want to pay $30/yr for it unfortunately. i already use cleanup when i empty those folders btw.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
jdzworld said:
interesting. i dont think i want to clean ALL the temp folders stuff though...because doesnt it actually help to have cookies, etc to speed up my internet surfing?!
You are thinking of your temporary Internet files, or your cache. You should remove these because they are only suppose to be "temporary". As fast as computers and their connections are these days, you probably wouldn't notice the speed difference.

Your cookies can stay though. Some cookies are advertising related, and these are the ones that are normally removed.

·
Registered
722 Posts
If you use Firefox you can have the cookies removed automatically every time you shut the computer down. [I think there's a setting in XP [IE] to do this, can't remember offhand where tis.]

·
Registered
722 Posts
uripyores said:
If you use Firefox you can have the cookies removed automatically every time you shut the computer down. [I think there's a setting in XP [IE] to do this, can't remember offhand where tis.]
OK, Just remembered....
In IE click on tools/internet options/advanced tab/scroll down to the security section and check the box for Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thx 4 all the help yall. that cookiewall didnt end up working out. i think it was just monitoring the regular cookie folder because that "real" cookie still got in the temp/cookie directory w/o notice. i did end up getting a program called sureclean which is great. i made it delete the temp/cookie cookies every 30 minutes. there were a couple spywares detected in that folder that were not getting deleted and the expiration on them was like christmas 2006.(lol) again, thx 4 your support and help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.