Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to replace the craptacular intel heat sink I got in the retail box but
what should I use to clean old thermal paste off of my cpu?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
twajetmech said:
pure isopropyl alcohol will work fine....you can usually find 91% or 99% isopropyl at walgreens and such or home depot
Will 70% do? And what should I put it on? A tissue or some cotton?

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
No, it won't that's is 30% water and you don't want water any where near the cpu ! and use some swabs and lint free cloth (old tee shirt, cut up) remember to turn the psu off but leave it plugged in and wear an anti stat strap and remember not to touch the surface with your bare hands once the cpu is cleaned.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
twajetmech said:
No, it won't that's is 30% water and you don't want water any where near the cpu ! and use some swabs and lint free cloth (old tee shirt, cut up) remember to turn the psu off but leave it plugged in and wear an anti stat strap and remember not to touch the surface with your bare hands once the cpu is cleaned.
But it is distilled water and distilled water is not conductive So in theory there shouldnt be a problem.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I use Goof Off applied sparingly to a paper towel to clean my CPU's and Heatsinks. You do not want this stuff to run onto your mobo so do not quirt it on the components, only on the paper towel.

Goof Off is one of the cleaning products recommended by the Arctic Silver 5 application tutorial. Just be carefull with it and it will do a great job.

Please do not use products containing distilled water. Although pure H2O is not conductive it can pick up ions or other impurities while in use and fry your PC.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Barry_R said:
I use Goof Off applied sparingly to a paper towel to clean my CPU's and Heatsinks. You do not want this stuff to run onto your mobo so do not quirt it on the components, only on the paper towel.

Goof Off is one of the cleaning products recommended by the Arctic Silver 5 application tutorial. Just be carefull with it and it will do a great job.

Please do not use products containing distilled water. Although pure H2O is not conductive it can pick up ions or other impurities while in use and fry your PC.
Do you think I could get away without using any cleaning agents and rubbing it with a dry cloth?

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

Goof-off will do a decent job for you, but frankly if you are near a best buy or some other computer store, the regular Artic Silver thermal paste cleaner called "Arctic Silver ArctiClean Cleaner" does the best job of all the mentioned methods. I think I paid around seven bucks for mine. And, don't ever use cotton swabs or fingers to clean off or spread any of the products mentioned .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.