4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a custom build.
Intel Core 2 Quad 2.2
Asus, Unsure of Model motherboard
2 Gigs of Ram
GeForce 8600 GT Video Card PCI-e
365 Watt PSU

Ok. So I have had this build working for about 2 months now. Most of the pieces are new. Starting about a month ago I would notice slow downs in World of Warcraft after an hour of play or so where my framerate would drop. I ignored this for awhile, and eventually I looked into and saw my GPU was overheating. It would get into the 120 degree range, sometimes higher. I threw a fan on the case powered from a wall outlet, and this brought the temperature down about 30 degrees. It stopped the framerate drops, and it has worked fine since then.

That was until the night. I started getting some glitchy things in the game, and restarting the game helped, but they would come back. The temperature of the GPU was not above 90. I kept going for a bit until I froze up. I tried to restart the computer, but now I'm receiving a no signal message on the monitor. The monitor works connected to another computer. The computer does not work on a different monitor. I have tried resetting the CMoS. I can hear the windows welcome music when I restart the computer, but there is no video. The fan on the GPU does not spin, but since it has been overheating from day 1 I can't say it ever worked in the first place. All other fans work. I have unplugged some of the unneeded hardware from the case, like the floppy drive, and LED light on side of the case, but still no luck.

Any thoughts?

·
Banned
4,862 Posts
Well, you've basically described a classic GPU failure, so it sounds like you'll probable need a new GPU.

But before you do, what is the brand on that power supply? 365 watts sounds a little low for that system, and that might be why your card died--irregularities in power from a straining PSU.

·
Registered
257 Posts
yeah... i think you are going to have to replace a few things here. You can get a GeForce 9800GT on neweg for like $104. buy a nice 700W power supply with at least a total of 60A on however man 12+ rails it has and that will run smoothly for a loooong time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.