Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As of last night, everytime my PC starts Windows XP a white box about the size of a tiny pop-up appears in the very upper lefthand side of my screen. There is no way to close it and I have tried ending processes, using Spybot, and stopping unknown services in the msconfig and it won't disappear. I right clicked on it and it says its coming from launch.yahoo.com, and what's worse, everytime I change my wallpaper, a different Launch! pop-up appears. I can't figure out what kind of program would be able to launch a pop-up when you change your wallpaper, but I would LOVE to get rid of it. Any help or even longshot suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

POWERSTROKE5000

·
hey
10,189 Posts
Try this:
click start > run
type in
msconfig
click on startup
and see if the program is listed in there. Just uncheck it and hit apply and it should ask to restart. That might get rid of it for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I looked all through there and have even booted up without processing the startup, win.ini, or system services and it still does it. The part that really stumps me is that it forces a pop-up when i change my wallpaper, even when i change it using the control panel to change from one basic windows wallpaper to another.

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
It might very well be an Active Desktop item. To see if it is, right click on your desktop, hit properties, click the "web" tab, and see if anything is in there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SI SENOR

Yeah Fox thats what it was. I fixed it a couple hours ago and just now got your reply. I had no idea you could set your desktop to display a webpage in the background; i assume some spyware or something stuck it in there. I was just about to give up but then I fouled up IE and it changed my background to that screen where you have to "Restore Active Desktop" and, for the first time, I actually read what that screen says instead of just clicking to restore. I followed the directions and went into Control Panel > Display > Desktop > Customize Desktop > Web Tab and sure enough, it had a little box checked for "www.yahoo.com/s/93061". Once I unchecked it, my wallpaper came back and the problem was resolved. Thanks for the help everybody.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I downloaded something from Yahoo and then it tried to attach itself as my browser...I don't know if that is what happened to you or not but I believe I went to ADD/REMOVE programs to get rid of it. You might check to see if Yahoo is there (in case it ever pops up again)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.