Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It will read my CD-RW disks, but even if I limit the write speed to that of my disks, it can't write to them and continuously reports write errors. I am using the XP native RW handler (which may be the problem, I heard it was crapX( ) Will a patch cure it? ...or will I need to try Nero? The Nero demo hasn't cured it. I have noticed, though, that reformatting my media seems to help, but I need more testing there.

·
Registered
283 Posts
What type of CDs are you using? I have heard that some cds work better then others when you are burning.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
This is most likely a compatibility issue between the CD drive and the CD-RW media. I'd pick up a couple of samples of different brands and see if you have better luck with one of the others.

I'm assuming that you have no issues writing CD-R media? If you also have difficulty there, I'm betting it's a problem with the drive or configuration.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It worked for me before...

I'm using the 3M imation CD-RW media. I used to use it in a HP CD Writer 9100 series RW and it worked fine. This even worked fine in the RWs at school (and I don't know what brand they are, not HP). Now in my HP CD-Writer (whatver version this one is in my new computer) it reads but don't write unless I format the media in that drive, but I have yet to try it in another drive.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tried it elsewhere

When I try a disk I formatted elsewhere, I can use it for all of 30 seconds on a Pentium 3 box running Windows 2000, then it does a memory dump. That same disk runs fine on my system. Now, how do I go about getting my CD-RW into "The Real World?" IE What do I need to install to make it work properly and then take my disk to the Windows 2000 box (or any other machine for that matter) and it work properly? Will installing Nero do that?

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
I'd start by trying another CD drive, it appears that all the issues are tied to this drive hardware.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought of thatr too.

However, the way it is acting leaves me to believe it is a software thing. It reads and writes to disks it formatted, reads from regular disks (but don't write to them), and reads regular CDs fine. It appears the drive works properly, but the way XP is handling it is causing the problem (so I hear!). They say Nero will cure it, but haven't had any luck using Roxio UDF reader or a Nero demo, almost as if XP is still handling it (and all settings I find indicate XP still has it). I think if we can just break XP off of it and make it go through a third party driver, it may work.:brush:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.