Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Acronis TrueImage
Norton Ghost

Which one is the best one in everyones opinion?

And is there a FREE alternative to creating a bootable CD to backup a hard drive and restore it, using image files?

Thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
No, far as I know there are no free ways to make backup images of your hard drive except for system restore.

I recommend Norton Ghost 12. It has always worked well for me. Only Symantec program I will use, though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
IMG Burn is awesome (it's an unlimited free trial but great for burning to disc) You might want to try folder2iso for backing up your HDD, I haven't tried it on a full hard drive but it works wonders for creating an ISO as large as you like (unlike Magic/power ISO etc who only ever let you make ISO files under 300mb).

folder2iso is totally free btw.

Hope this is what you're after.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Where did truthseeker say anything about Vista???
LOL! are you joking dude???

This is a VISTA thread. LOOK:

Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows Vista Support > What is the best Drive Image Program?

NOTICE THE WORDS: "Windows Vista Support" hehe

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I bought a PC magazine and it came with Paragon Drive Backup Special Edition 8.5

I registered it for free with Paragon and it works great :)

One question however out of curiosity... How does Paragon create an Image of C: when I am running Vista? How does it make an image of Vista as its running? I thought that was not possible due to "locked files" that are in use. But it does it and when I restored the image it works perfectly.

Is this a new method they use?

Thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
Norton Ghost also can create a backup of your C drive while it's in use. It's been able to do this since version 9. :)

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Glad it works for you. It does well by me, too!
Actually, I removed Paragon Drive Backup, as it was flawed. It wouldnt boot the secure partition that it was supposed to, and restoring an image took 4 hours, and then at the end it says "I/O ERROR" and stuffed up

I bought Acronis Trueimage 11 and its fantastic. The secure partition boots perfectly and restoring an image takes 15 minutes compared to 4 hours by Paragon.

Acronis TrueImage is the best!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Your lucky!
My Acronis 11 won't work with my Ultimate, on a restore it gets nearly to the end then errorr!!
Forester
Im using Vista Ulltimate and Acronis Trueimage 11 without any problems. Runs and works perfectly.

If you install a totally fresh Vista and then run Trueimage, it will work. Try it!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.