What is the best antivirus please help

3K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  Basementgeek 
#1 ·
hey guys, I want to ask what is the best antivirus to protect my pc
please help.

Thanks,
James

#3 ·
Thought my Maintenance Program maybe of help. I run Windows XP/SP3.

Preventative Maintenance program to avoid Hijackthis log submissions.

The following are my suggestions. As it is very successful for me I thought I would share it.

Firstly keep your Windows Updates current at all times using IE version 8.0 is recommended.

Definitions of all installations must be kept up to date at least weekly if not daily.

Please follow the advice given here to avoid having your computer attacked by Malware and in turn to avoid asking for volunteer expert help to analyse your logs.

Firstly you need one Firewall ZoneAlarm or Comodo Internet Security - both free

Then I suggest you download and install the following programs.

One Antivirus software program only as more than one will conflict. Avast Free Edition

Free Malwarebytes' Anti-malware scan cleaning utility

Several Antispyware programs run manually, randomly, and not enabled at Startup.

SuperAntispyware Free Edition
Spyware blaster
Spybot Search and Destroy
A_squared free

AVG AntiSpyware Free

Temporary Internet File Cleaners and other Cleanup Utilities.

Here are three I suggest for you to choose from, however please choose only one.

Cleanup 4.5.2
CCleaner
ATF Cleaner by Atribune

Shop, search and browse with confidence

Also go to

* Start
* Settings
* Accessories
* System Tools
* Disk Cleanup and follow the prompts

Defragment Utilities

Use the Windows default defragmenter program this way:

* Start
* All programs
* System tools
* Defragmenter

OR

Auslogics degragmenter Free

JavaRa .exe keeps your Java Runtime Environment up to date, run it occasionally

1.Scan for Adware, Spyware and all Malware WEEKLY/DAILY
2.Clean your 'Temporary Internet files' and 'History list' every 3 Days
3.Clear your SSL state every 3 Days.
4.Clear your Java files in your Java console every 3 Days
5.Empty the Recycle bin every 3 Days.
6.Defrag your hard Drive every 5 Days. (I actually analyse mine and only defrag when necessary)
7.Scan for Viruses and Trojans every 4 Days.
8.Degauss your monitor by turning it off completely and back on, every 5 days
9.Completely turn off' your machine every 5 Days. This is different than re-starting.

When you re-start, it does not shut down 100%

Now I suggest you open "control panel" and then "Internet options." With the 'internet options' open, you will see the general tab. Next click on the "content" tab. You will see "clear SSL state." This normally is performed automatically but I have come across old data left in here. While you are here, you should clean the "auto complete" as well. There is a lot of data stored here that can breach your security and privacy. It is best to un-check all three boxes and never use this feature, however if you like this feature, keep it.

To just clean the stored data, enable "auto complete" button and then the "clean passwords" then OK. Then enable the "clear forms" and then OK. It will wipe all of the stored information.

Now let's move on to the Java files. Open "control panel >settings and find "Java" and click on temporary internet files >settings >delete files >enable Applications and Applets, and Trace and Log file > okay.

Now while we have it open, let's adjust the size from 'unlimited' down to "maximum 4 MB" and you will be ready to go.

Another item that seems to get overlooked on today's maintenance routine is the "C:\windows\temp" folder. You should delete everything that is in this folder, BUT not the folder itself. If you have never done this, it will have a ton of stuff in it. So run your disk cleanup, defrag, delete cookies etc often. There are other variations of these utilities available although I have yet to find a problem with the ones that Windows provides.

To flush DNS cache click start, run, type cmd, and type ipconfig /flushdns and press enter. (Note the space between the g /)

DNS = Domain Name Server, the cache referred to is where Windows stores all IP addresses it collects as you surf typing the IP to the domain name to surf to, this cache can grow large over a period of time causing a slowdown on your computer surfing and interaction.

I hope the above is of some help and if followed particularly by new members may alleviate the necessity of posting a HJT log. If you have the above installed, run those very necessary update definitions once a week before using the tools, I have found I rarely have to post if ever to my selected HJT forum for help.

One last thing to make the above practice easier, make a New Folder on the Desktop name it Maintenance Folder, put a short cut of all Maintenance Programs installed, (not your Firewall and Antivirus software) in it, then carrying out that once a week housekeeping chore is made even more simple.

This program looks complicated and long to use, but soon after doing it several times it becomes second nature to do it once a week without following the above information.

Top 5 Tips for keeping your Security Uncompromisable

* Never give out your IP address. This is one of the most important things to remember if you don’t want to get hacked. If you give out your IP to someone you don’t know and if they know how to hack, they can see files on your computer that you might not want to be seen by other people. Just remember, don’t give it out to ANYONE.

* Don’t download any program if you don’t know what it is. If it says, free computer virus scan and it looks fake, it probably is. The reason is in those programs some people put key loggers so they can store everything you type. If you type in your email address and pass word, they can see that data and use it to get access to your email account. Remember, if you don’t want to get hacked, don’t download anything without knowing what it is or what it does.

* Secure your Wi-Fi Network if you have one. Today, most houses have Wi-Fi and about half of those are unsecured. I went driving around my neighborhood and found 32 Wi-Fi networks, of which only ten were secure. If you have an unsecured network, people who have access to your network could hack into your computer and access you private data. This gives an experienced hacker control over your computer if they know what there are doing. If you don’t want to get hacked, secure your network. Use a hard to guess password that contains a mix of numbers and letters, and change it frequently.

* Make sure you log off your account you have on your computer before logging out, this is especially important when using shared computers. If one of your friends is visiting and they use your computer right after you, without you previously logging off, they have access to your personal data, including important items, such as your email. So remember to LOG OUT before you log off on a shared computer. Some sites have a feature whereby they can save your login information, on a shared computer don’t us that feature.

* Keep a secure password for everything. Make a password that is long and hard to guess. People you know may attempt to hack into your accounts, including PayPal. If they know your email address and know you well, they may have a chance of guessing your password. If this were to happen, they could post your Password and email to any number of sites for hackers to utilize. Always create a long password with a mix of numbers and letters so that NOBODY can easily guess it.

#4 ·
theres really no best antivirus It is just everyone has a favorite and their favorite is perceived as the best. Something to consider, not one antivirus will protect you 100 percent. Over the years I have used most of them at least for a year on different computers and never had an issue . Currently I am using microsoft essentials.

#5 ·
Kaspersky is far better tuned than any other for home use.

Ignore Trend Micro's Internet Security - Scanning engine is ancient. Pattern files are extra large and they push large updates which are typically software fixes and not always pattern updates. Also, very poor service

#9 ·
The very best anti virus you can get is the one that works for you, you like it and understand it.

Got to remember that there is more to security than anti virus and a firewall.

BG

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.