Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to upgrade my graphics card and am looking at two XFX GeForce 8600GT cards. One is a 256MB card with DDR3 memory, the other is a 512MB card with DDR2 memory. What is more important, the DDR3 memory, or the 512MB? Thanks.

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
What really matters is the memory bus. A good deal of cards with large amounts of RAM use a small bus, so the memory isn't used as effectively. If it were a comparison between a card with 256MB of DDR2 running on a 256-bit bus and a card with 256MB of DDR3 on a 128-bit bus, I'd get the first.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help. I looked, and both cards are 128-bit. I'm not looking at really high-end cards, just something to play games decently. So if they are both 128 bit, is there a benefit of having 256 MB DDR3 memory over 512MB DDR2? The main difference between the two cards I'm looking at is in the memory clock and core clock speeds. On the 256MB card they are 1600 MHz and 620 MHz respectively. On the 512 MB card they are 1180 MHz and 540 MHz. I'm completely in the dark when it comes to the significance of the specs on these things, so any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
*First of many posts for me*:wave:

Well, you also have to realize that 512MB of video RAM in general would not do you any good in most cases. If you are doing video editing or playing high end (and I stress HIGH END) games, then you might be able to use it. All RAM does is store data for faster access, and 512 MB is a lot of storage for applications to store graphics of todays programs. Most of that space will be unused. In most cases, 512 MB of video RAM would be a waste of money right now. Now, you CAN use the faster bus though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.