Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have the option of setting up one of two computers for my boss, and would like to use the best/fastest computer of the two. I know what one of the computers is, but cannot ID the second.

It is listed in BIOS as a "Pro3000+". I've run searches in Google and have a good picture of the MotherBoard/CPU combination here:

http://www.atic.ca/index.php?page=LongDesc&sku=18834

The other computer option is a Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro with an Athlon 1200 CPU. Initially I would think that the Gigabyte/Athlon board would be better, based on the the fact that the Pro3000+ is older, but some Google hits indicate the Pro3000+ is running a 64-bit processer, but I can't find anything that says this explicitly.

(Also, as a side-note, could someone please tell me what the short little "slot" is on this board (see photo in link above). It's at the end of the board, after the AGP slot and the 2 PCI slots. It's dark brown like the AGP slot, but is about half as long, and is "divided" into two parts like the PCI slots are.)

Also, I'm trying to find the Motherboard Drivers for this, as well as the most-recent BIOS.

If someone could help my figure out HOW to do this, I would be most appreciative.

Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wilma

Y'know, I don't know why it is that everyone is accusing me and Wilma of fooling around. I'm married to BETTY. Wilma is Fred's wife.

Thanks for the info Tumbleweed. I did some more research and found this "Pro3000+" thing has a bit of a stink attached to it. Apparantly, some internet retailer built a bunch of boards with AMD processors, and then had the BIOS altered so that it would call itself a misleading name like "3000". (There are other M/B-CPU combinations that are named similarly by this company.)

There is some evidence of a bit of outrage by the computing community, as the "3000" is misleading and apparantly has nothing to do with the CPU speed. And this Company ("ECS" I think, or something similar) has absolutely no support or documentation for these Boards. Meaning no M/B drivers, BIOS updates, etc...

However, the thing has run fairly well, but it's "red-haired ******* step-child" orgins make it too risky for being used as a serious office computer, as the data is to critical. Also, I read somewhere that at least some of these M/B's had the CPU "hardwired" to the M/B, making a CPU upgrade impossible.

Pretty creepy, if you ask me. Selling computers in this manner, with no support, documentation or any help for the Users once they own it. Another lesson in how important it is to buy quality hardware from reputable vendors. I bet the original purchaser probably saved 10 whole dollars from a comparable piece of hardware.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.