Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:4-dontkno Folks I am about ready to install a DVD burner USB drive on my system "YAE-ee", But am questioning this flag that WinXP came up with, when I upgraded to WinXP from WinME. It say my DVD decoder was out of date or needed to upgraded. I noted to that this upgrade was 49 some odd green stamps.

Is this just a promo or is this going to effect my DVD Burning stuff???

God Bless and have a blessed day
DirectCurrent

·
OmegaDawn
781 Posts
DVD decoder is a hardware device or software codec.
If you bought a new DVD writer,you should have gotten
some software to play DVD movies.
That will have a DVD decoder in it.
What your seeing is probably an ad.

·
retired
1,966 Posts
Check the manufacturers' website for updates on the driver software for windows XP and also have a look for a firmware (DVD bios) update for your model.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Direct Current;
Thanks STU COMPUTER, LEROYS1000, Sounds like solid advise. Yes your where right it was an ad for winDVD7.... I allready have a DVD PLAYER installed and getting ready to install a USB DVD BURNER from HP (same as computer I have.) but I think I will Take your advice and check it out. By the way Like the ICON, Drew a pictur of him and the roadrunner a fe months ago, sold them for some good green. Thanks again. God Bless all your futture days.

question; STU COMPUTER-- what are these Freeware programs below the TFS LOGO IN your thread message???

·
retired
1,966 Posts
Well, freeware are programs that the authors have decided to release to the public and don't ask/expect money for their use. Simply, their FREE!

Shareware/trialware/crippleware is software that can be used briefly for assessment (if you want to purchase it). Usually it works for a limited time or has 'greyed' areas that aren't working until you buy it (and get a registration key).

The freeware in my sig are some useful ones that I sometimes reference in replies. Since it's in my sig it appears anywhere I post.

Fresh Diagnose and Everest are diagnostics that tell you about your computer and performs some tests.

Memtest86 is a very popular RAM tester that makes a self booting floppy (also a windows version available).

Ultimate Boot CD diagnostic tools Pack is a website that has an ISO for burning a diagnostic tools CD that is very useful, many different utilities avaiable on a CD disk.

Boot Disks is a website with windows bootdisks for download.

Fresh Download is a download manager.
DeepBurner is a CD/DVD burner software thats small and easy to use.
AntiVir Personal Edition is an antivirus application, not a memory hog like some others.
TrendMicro Online virus scan is a useful online scan so you can check that your installed application hasn't been compromised.

ZipCentral is a simple zip file manager and 7 Zip is a more versatile archive manager.

There are websites that have plenty more freeware, like this one http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/freeware.html

And if you have a few days of free time you can find more (Registered Projects: 103,337) at SourceForge.net http://sourceforge.net/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.