Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a free guest wifi at my work. Id like to connect to play some games during the slow time, but would like to avoid the conversation where my boss asks me why Im playing games instead of working =P

My question is what info do networks get when you connect? Like does it say your comp name with who its registered to? Or does it just say connection from wireless card # or whatever? Is there a way to block it from getting more info?

Also is this something that would likely be closely monitored, afraid to ask too much at work cause im not friendly with any of the tech people since i never interact with them. I work nights so its the lighter shift. Its in the middle of the city so Im sure they get people who connect all the time, but just curious if anyone has any idea how closely something like this would be looked at.

I dont plan to do anything illegal like downlloading tons of pirated crap or anything, just wanna play some games during the dead time =P

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Especially detailed, ive been getting lots of vague resonses that dont really help me =/ Windows is registered in my name if that makes a difference so if they can get that it would show my name.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Well I would advise you to find some work to do rather than waste company bandwidth.

You may want to review your company’s “Acceptable Use” policy for the details, Internet activity is one of the number one things company’s monitor to protect their computer networks. This is something that is definitely capable of being monitored, whether or not they actually are is up in the air and varies company by company.

As far as what information is able to be found, while they may not be able to find your name and who Windows is licensed to they can find out by other means who you are and what you are doing.

Bottom line…find some work to do. It wouldn’t be worth it to me to loose my job, because I get bored mid-shift.

·
Global Moderator
51,348 Posts
I don't think we want to assist with this kind of activity, I'm going to close this one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.