Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My system has WinXP with an ASUS P5P800 motherboard and never gave any problems until today when I replaced my CD burner with a new DVD burner. When I tried booting up, my monitor stayed completely blank with the ON button staying in the yellow "standby" mode. I checked all cable connections/cards etc. tried re-booting and got the same result. Thinking that maybe the video card was the problem, I replaced it with an older one. When rebooting this time, the monitor ON button clicked from yellow to green and an unfamiliar bios number and letter sequence appeared on the top line of the screen (from the video card I guess), and everything froze after that. Tried rebooting a few times with the same result. I could not even get into my regular BIOS SETUP screen. I turned the power off, waited 30 seconds and then tried rebooting again. This time, the monitor stayed blank, with the monitor ON button remaining in the yellow "standby" mode. Further reboot attempts gave the same result.

Does this look like a motherboard problem? Bios problem etc?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Welcoem to TSF:

Please give full system specs with PSU maker and model ?????

which connector on the mobo did you use when installing the new rom drive ????? and the new drive ? di you replace a rom drive or add an additional drive to your existing config ??

regards

joe

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ASUS P5P800, 3GHz P4 775,
2x512MB DDR PC3200/400,
2 x W.Digital HD's set up as primary master/slave,
2 x W.Digital HD's on Promise Ultra100 Tx2 card,
Soundblaster Live Card
ATI Radeon 9200LE 128MB 8xAGP,
Pioneer DVR108 DVD-R/RW set up as secondary master,
LG GCE-8525B CD-R/RW set up as secondary slave.
Monitor is a 17" LG 775FT

PSU is an Enermax EG365P-VE 350 Watts.

I replaced the LG GCE-8525B CD-R/RW with a BenQ DW1640 DVD+RW.

Please let me know if more info is needed. Thanks Joe.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Joe:

I think your PSU is no longer up to the task of running all that stuff !!

I would upgrade to an Enermax of atlest 500 watts >> 550 would even be better / I would dare say you need around 400 or a touch more just to run / 550 will give you the buffer you need to run stable.

P3 computer were using 350 watts 5 years ago !! and they didnt draw anywhere near what a P4 does / you have a heavy loaded system ~~ give it more power.

in my opinion ~~~ If it werent for the fact the PSU you have now is an enermax it wouldnt have run your system that long !!!

regards

joe

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took everything apart, and then reinstalled only the motherboard, 1 Hard Drive, and the video card. Everything booted up perfectly. You are right. It's time to upgrade the PSU.

Thanks tons for your help, Joe!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.