Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

· Super Moderator
5,862 Posts
Tristar

Thxs for the help again. I don't find settings in Avira, and I really feel stupid about it. I am not tech savy like you but I know how to use a PC.
I am pasting a screenshot of what I see when I open Avira. If you could tell me where to click.

Thxs

Pat
What happens when you click the "Open" option that is in line with Antivirus? Also there's the Manage Antivirus option when you right-click the avira tray icon. What does that do?

· Super Moderator
5,862 Posts
In both cases, the following happens. See screenshot.

Thxs

Pat
At the bottom-left of that window, there's a gear icon. I bet that's for settings. Give that a click and see what opens.

In my honest opinion, you could do better than Avira free. Don't get me wrong, Avira is good, but I find their free edition to be quite limited. For example, Web Protection and Mail Protection are only offered on the Pro edition higher! You can have both of those on Avast free antivirus! US - Russia politics aside, Kaspersky free is also a solid product. There's also Microsoft Security Essentials which has made great strides and features Web protection across-the-board (regardless of which browser you use).

· Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Hi

Wow, I will definitely try the other anti-virus you mention.
The gear icon got me somewhere but still no cigar. I clicked on everything and can't find where to enter ebay.com

Regards and thxs again

Pat

Attachments

· Premium Member
Operating Systems || Hardware || Most Tech Stuff
3,184 Posts
Can you post on what you see under PC Protection ?

I'm looking for a web or internet category.. It's possible that it is in the Pro version...

Can you check under advanced as well ?

· Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Can you post on what you see under PC Protection ?

I'm looking for a web or internet category.. It's possible that it is in the Pro version...

Can you check under advanced as well ?
You know Tristar I was thinking the same thing, that it could be in the pro version only.
I join 3 screenshots of "PC protection", "Advanced" and also another one of the "Exceptions" screen which might be it but not sure.

Thxs

Pat.

Attachments

· Super Moderator
5,862 Posts
You know Tristar I was thinking the same thing, that it could be in the pro version only.
I join 3 screenshots of "PC protection", "Advanced" and also another one of the "Exceptions" screen which might be it but not sure.

Thxs

Pat.
Nope, that's not it. The exceptions setting we're looking for would have a section for specifying a website address or domain. Seems like it is non-existent in the current free version!

· Premium Member
3,184 Posts
Yeah Pat, looks like the free version does not have the filters that apply in Avira.

We've narrowed it down to the AV App... I'm guessing you've updated Avira to the latest version of the definitions..

When you open your browser, do you see an Avira extension/adblock or similar addon installed there?

If you do, then we can try replicating the issue, by disabling the addon but leaving Avira on and see if the issue occurs again.

· Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Yeah Pat, looks like the free version does not have the filters that apply in Avira.

When you open your browser, do you see an Avira extension/adblock or similar addon installed there?

If you do, then we can try replicating the issue, by disabling the addon but leaving Avira on and see if the issue occurs again.
No I don't see an Avira extension. I guess it has to be in the pro version. I am going to try another free anti-virus recommended here if the issue does not go away.

Thxs so much for the help

Pat

· Premium Member
3,184 Posts
Sure Pat, while we definitely want to help we're limited with the options within Avira, as a last ditch effort, you can probably post in the Avira forums to see if there is a response from their product support team, hopefully they have some recommendations for you before going for another AV product.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.