Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
My first post. My power supply burned and my brother-in-law is the only person that's ever worked on my computer, but he wasn't available. A friend of mine took it to a person that fixed her computer before. When I got mine back, and booted up, the first thing I saw on the start screen was 64mb of ram. When it left it had 128mb of ram on the screen. I checked the system information and found that my graphics card had been swapped.:4-thatsba I always thought the ram was the amount of the memory sticks installed. I opened it up and had 3 sticks in 3 slots, 128+128+256 totaling 512mb. It left with one 512mb stick.:upset: I ordered another 512 from TigerDirect, and now have a total of 896. I plan to replace the other two with 512 sticks.It still shows 64mb ram at start up, and I don't understand why.:4-dontkno Could the video card have something to do with it?

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Download and run the free program Everest Home (the link is in my signature) and it will tell you what hardware you have installed

·
Registered
121 Posts
Unless the burning of the PSU damaged your own graphics card and RAM, meaning the guy who 'fixed' your computer replaced it with stuff at hand, I'd go with the advice of MaverickUK. Add a kick to it on my behalf though. What a way to go :4-thatsba

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Bios? WHO ME?

:wave: Thank you Kodi, MaverickUK, and JorisS. I'm afraid I've never been in the Bios before, and I'd probably do more harm than good. I'm just starting out, and trying to teach myself, instead of depending on my brother-in-law all of the time. I definitely won't send it to someone I don't know again. I was robbed. I have the manual to my motherboard, would the settings I need be in there? What I don't understand is, what amount of ram is supposed to show on the startup screen, and is it from the video card or the sticks of memory?? :4-dontkno

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
I think that would be the system ram, but if you want to know how much ram and what video card is there go to ;- start/control panel/systemand you will see on the front page at the bottom how much ram is installed. now click on : hardware/device manager and open display adapter and it will tell you what video card you have

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.