Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My PC has only 12.2 of 19.1 GB of free space available. Because of this, I believe, my computer lags and is often somewhat slow. I have done everything I can to free up space (i.e., disk clean up, constantly erase cookies, defrag, always removing programs, etc.) AND my PC hardly has any music, games, or programs saved on the harddrive. Also, the other day it seemed like I had 13.0 free space and all of the sudden it is down to 12.2 and I swear I haven't added a single program. I fully do not understand how I have taken up so much space and would really like to know how to free up as much space as possible. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd really appreciate any help. Thanks!

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
hmm

well, i have a neat little tool that shows you the entire contents of the drives, and in a picture form you can see what files are taking up what space....

id send it as an attachment, but it wont let me.

and if i knew the site i got it from id let you in on it.

ill keep trying to find the site or get this thing to let me attach it.

~BoB~

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
ah hah

and here it is....

and scan it first, so you cant say i infected anyone....

but it is clean according to trendmicro.

~BoB~

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
If you have Norton Utilities installed, you may just need to clear out the Norton Protected Recycle Bin. Personally, it's one feature of Norton that annoys the hell out of me, and I disable it! Also, you might reduce the number of restore points saved, that's another space waster in XP.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
johnwill>
I don't have Norton but am definitely interested in reducing "...the number of restore points saved." How do I go about doing that? Thanks.

S

·
0 Posts
Reclaim disk space by deleting previous Restore Points and keeping just the most recent System Restore Point.

1. Right click on drive letter you want to remove the previous Restore Points by going to My Computer and selecting Properties.

2. Press the Disk Cleanup button and then click on the More Options tab.

3. Press the Clean up.. button under System Restore and you will get a window asking you if you're sure you want to delete all but the most recent restore point. Press YES.

4. Click on the OK, button of the Disk Cleanup window and you will get a window asking you if you want to perform these actions. Just press YES

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
In addition to clean-up, you can limit the amount of disk that the system will allocate to restore points. Right click on My Computer, Properties, System Restore, and Settings. You can adjust the percentage of the volume dedicated to restore data there.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I now have 14.3 GB of free space and my PC seems to be running better.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.