Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am in need of some advice before parting with my hard earned cash!!!!

I currently have the following set-up:

Processor: AMD 1800
Motherboard:JetwayV333DA (up to AGP 4x) Socket A
RAM: 256mb (have just bought another 512mb, yet to be installed)
Power source: 550w (just installed as previous supply burnt out!)
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400

I was thinking of going for a GeForce 6600GT as my 3Dmark03 scores are pathetic at around 68!!!!!!! I want a card capable of giving me good gaming performance....

Will I need to upgrade other areas of my system to make this choice worthwhile? Could anyone suggest a good alternative? Please help!!!!!!!! :4-dontkno

·
Registered
17 Posts
Munchbunch said:
Hi,

I am in need of some advice before parting with my hard earned cash!!!!

I currently have the following set-up:

Processor: AMD 1800
Motherboard:JetwayV333DA (up to AGP 4x) Socket A
RAM: 256mb (have just bought another 512mb, yet to be installed)
Power source: 550w (just installed as previous supply burnt out!)
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400

I was thinking of going for a GeForce 6600GT as my 3Dmark03 scores are pathetic at around 68!!!!!!! I want a card capable of giving me good gaming performance....

Will I need to upgrade other areas of my system to make this choice worthwhile? Could anyone suggest a good alternative? Please help!!!!!!!! :4-dontkno

depends on what your price range is..... 6600gts are good, so that may very well be a good choice for you... BUT, you should specify how much memory you want... 128 or 256 MB of RAM... what games do u plan on playing? tell me then ill get you some links to cards....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What card?

I was planning on playing WOW, Doom3, Riddick (butcher bay) etc..

The frame rates look good for the 6600GT for these games, how much difference will the 128mb vs 256mb RAM make???

·
Registered
73 Posts
For the cost now of 6600's there's no real risk in upgrading. They're a great card and they will run the games you list...as always if you plan to keep up with technology and software you'll need more but that'll certainly do what you want.

·
Registered
74 Posts
what's ur budget?

cause u could upgrade to a athlon XP 3200+
and add more ram and then you will be able to get better performace out of the 6600GT(if u decide to get it)

·
Registered
227 Posts
R3zagron said:
what's ur budget?

cause u could upgrade to a athlon XP 3200+
and add more ram and then you will be able to get better performace out of the 6600GT(if u decide to get it)
no you can't, this motherboard CAN take up to a 2700+. here's the compatability list

http://www.jetway.com.tw/evisn/product/CPU_support/V333DA.htm

I'd think a 2600+ /w a 333 bus & some 333 memory

or you could find one of those higher 2xxx cpu's that uses a 266 bus

oh yes and be sure you have a decent power supply for a 6600GT, preferrably a 350W or higher

·
Registered
227 Posts
ok, scratch that, I thought that was a supported list, but they show some that are not supported at all, which is kinda stupid

if you have the 06 version of your board, it only supports a 2400+

if you have the original version, it supports up to a 2100+

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cpu

Thanks Uranium-235!

I have checked the link and my manual for the motherboard, it appears I would be limited to a AMD 2100+, however as I already have a 1800+ is it worth upgrading, or would the gain be neglgible?

I would be prepared to spend up to US$200 (GBP 110) at present on a graphics card. Is the 6600GT overkill considering my current set up (I do have a 550W psu).

Is the 768mb RAM I have available enough?

·
Registered
227 Posts
550 PSU? Oh yeah, that would definetly work.

768 ram, more then enough

Your CPU is a little lacking, You can always get the card now, and do a motherboard/CPU upgrade later when you have the money

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
The 6600 would be overkill and not really worth the money and effort. A Radeon 9600Pro would much more suit your rig.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to all contributors!

Thanks for the useful advice, fortunately a mate at my work is selling me his ATI 9800se at a good price. It will do me in the meantime prior to upgrading my whole setup in the future.....

Thanks again.... :sayyes:

·
The Patriot
667 Posts
games you wanting to play you gonna need some upgrades.

the 6600 really wont perform at top notch without a new pc all together, my recommendation is get a geforce mx4000 video and upgrade maybe to 512 or 1 gig ram.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.