Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy an external hard drive with around 270-330 gigabytes. I really don’t know what to buy because there is so much selection out there. What would you get. Looking for a good quality one too. Thanks for helping

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Hi and welcome to TSF. It would help to know your budget and your purpose. Will you be simply storing files on there or will you need something that has fast access times?, etc. Here's a search I compiled on PriceGrabber:

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_...ge_id=11/lo_p=0/hi_p=0/x=69/y=9/sortby=priceA

Under the product names, you will see a few specs: "USB 2.0, 7,200 RPM, 2MB"

For speed, you want USB 2.0 or Firewire, 7200 RPM and a large cache like 8 or 16MB (if available)

-Eddie

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Looking for something that is fast and stores a good amount of information. That is all that I really know. All these terms that describe them I really don't know what they mean. I think you cleared that up some. I was expecting somewhere in between 100 to 200 dollars but If I could get a good quality fast one for under that I would obviously go for it. Nice link provided. Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
No problem! Feel free to ask any other questions if you need them cleared up.

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
Hi 951Michael,

One thing I've found when dealing with external drives is that they are mind-blowingly expensive compared with internals. The good thing is that you can actually buy an internal drive and a USB enclosure, and just put the drive into the enclosure. I just did this, and it was maybe 30 bucks for a 200gb setup. Truly cheap, and it's a 7200rpm drive with an 8mb cache- perfect for movies, music, and pretty much anything else I could want to store on it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.