Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, so it looks like I need to buy a new graphics card.

I want name brand and I don't want ATI, so that pretty much leaves nVidia. First question, does it make a big difference which manufacturer I buy from? The only one I know anything about is PNY--I'm happy with their tech support, but not so happy that the fan (and subsequently the whole card, since the temperature indicator must have lied) died after almost exactly a year. It was a PNY Forceware Multimedia, which served my purposes before it died, to give you an idea of what I'm used to.

Requirements: Must be AGP. Must have DVI-D output. Beyond that I don't care much about input/output. Performance... hey, I'm spending money, I might as well get something pretty good, right? So I probably want 256MB, though 128 isn't completely out of the question (it's worked for my purposes thus far).

From the nVidia site, it looks like the GeForce 6600 is a good match. Even better would be a 6200 with 256MB, which I saw on the Best Buy website, but which nVidia doesn't list. Does such a thing actually exist, or is Best Buy lying?

Also, I have a 420W PSU that came with my RaidMax case. Do I need to upgrade?

Any input? Anyone have good or bad experiences with specific products to share? Lay it on me :) Thanks!

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
I like nVidia, and I like ATi. Right now I have an nVidia that was put out by eVGA. So far I've had flawless performance. PNY is rather... disliked on this forum. I had an old PNY Geforce2 MX and it worked as well as a PCI card could have.

The 6600GT is a great card! The 6200 is decent and ok if you're on a major budget. RAM != performance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am on *somewhat* of a budget, but not extremely tight. The 6600GT does indeed look very good, and is within my pricerange *if* I don't have to buy a new PSU too.

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
Can you quote me the specs on it? There should be a sticker on the side that has the info. A friend of mine had a RaidMax PSU in his PC that worked for a while but had a weak 12v line. I gave him a 480w with 18a on the 12v.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
if you got some money to spend then i recommend a 6800GT. i have the PNY 6800GT and my videocard has been working flawlessly. this PNY videocard didnt come with a good software bundle though but i was working for compusa at the time and i got a big discount on the videocard.

good brands include eVGA, BFG, and even MSI. im still using an AGP interface and i really like my 6800GT.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know if I can quite make the jump in price to a 6800, but I'll certainly think about it when I'm at the store tomorrow. I intend to pick up a new card on my lunch break.

A friend basically told me that I shouldn't have a problem with a 420W supply. I'm not going to worry about it for tomorrow, but I may upgrade in the future. Input still welcome. The specs on my current PSU:

AC Output Current: 10A/5A
+3.3v: 26A
+5v: 32A
+12v: 13A
-5v: 0.5A
-12v: 0.8A
+5vsb: 2.0A

·
Registered
209 Posts
i will warn you,
i saw the same video card i had purchased off of newegg for 60$ more at best buy a month later. now thats doesnt seem that bad, exept the the card was a 6200, that i bought for $90...

here are your good deals...
as for tech support, if it doesnt work send it back otherwise its gonna work... ive never had problems with anything and most companys will atleast let your return it.

best 6200 deal-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814164056

best 6600 deal- (agp)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814164043

Best 6600gt deal- (without mail in rebate)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814135186

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
Your PSU will be unable to provide sufficient support. The problem is the 12v rail because it only sports 13a. 13a is minimum for a small setup with today's hardware. Look for one that has 20a or more. Antec and Enermax are two brands to look at closely.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.