Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To get started building a PHP website. I am interested in getting into it. I know quite a bit of HTML, so I thought PHP would be interesting.

How would I go about starting my own website? Like what programs would I need, etc.

Thank you for your time,
Andrew

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
If you're hosting it on your own computer, you'll need PHP installed, and I think a databasing program like mySQL is reaquired for most PHP pages.

I had a Apache/PHP/MySQL setup for a while, but I could never get them to work correctly. It seems though that everyone else I talk to about it has no problems at all, so it's worth a try.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Yup, the PHP/MySQL/Apache seems to be the best option if your going to be hosting the site of your own system.

PHP is a server side scripting language. That means its fairly advance in web programming. If you are attempting PHP you should know HTML and I recommend learning JavaScript aswell as its similiar in some ways to PHP.

Have a fun and computing day,
Grove :cool:

·
Registered
283 Posts
i would suggest in getting hosting there a plent of good free php hosting sites out there can't find my list post them later it makes it a lot seayer then hosting them ur self. nad dreamweaver and notepad so you can code stuff

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So where can I find these PHP/MySQL/Apache programs? And any links to help me out in my progress would be very much helpful indeed.

Thank you guys for your help, I just need the links and stuff.

Thanks again,
Andross

·
Registered
12 Posts
Good resource for getting started

Check out the following book from www.sitepoint.com. I have been very impressed with this book (about $30, I think). You can download the first four chapters of the book for free, and the first chapter will take you through your PHP/MySQL/Apache setup. Chapter 2 covers basic MySQL, Chapter 3 covers basic PHP, and Chapter 4 covers basic PHP/MySQL interaction. The rest of the book gets into some more advance applications. I highly recommend it. Sitepoint is also a very good reference in general for web development articles and tutorials. If you have trouble with the download from Sitepoint, you can click here for a copy that I have uploaded to my free site on www.freewebsitehost.net. Freewebsitehost is another good resource for free website hosting with PHP and MySQL support. Those, along with the sites grove gave you should get you going in the right direction.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Avoid budles

As another note, try to avoid PHP/MySQL/Apache bundles. They offer easy installation, but they are very limited in configuration options and capabilities. Besides, you will benefit greatly from setting up your own system.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.