1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
12,666 Posts
That board doesn't appear to support any significant cpu's that would allow you to play many of those newer games at 60fps with any card. However , it appears pci-e 2.0 cards will function ok on the board. Something like an nvidia 8600 or 9500 will be fine until the cpu starts lagging behind.

For either of those two card you would want a decent 550w or higher power supply with 26 amps on the 12v rail and an 80+ certification.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
would a mustiff dual 550w work? produced by codegen..thats what i have currently

·
Premium Member
12,666 Posts
Don't bother with the 1 gig versions of low end cards , they cost slightly more for the extra ram but the gpu's can't fully use that much ram so it's money down the drain. Low and midrange cards are best at 512mb.

I actually didn't notice how bad the amps were on that power supply , it really shouldn't be used and be changed to a better unit first.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
can you explain how the amps affect the performance? I swore i finally got a good psu bummer...you can forward me to site where i can expand my knowlege about gaming systems if u like

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
also how could a gpu not be able to use all the ram? is it cuz of the system board or just the card itself..?

·
Premium Member
12,666 Posts
http://www.techsupportforum.com/f210/power-supply-information-and-selection-192217.html

As for the video card. The reason it cannot really fully use 1gb of vram is because the gpu can't physically handle that much ram and maintain a good frame rate. When you buy high ram cards the idea is that they can handle more 3d objects at higher resolutions. However the 9400's gpu will bog down at high resolutions thus making the 1gb of vram a marketing ploy more then a usable feature.

·
Banned
3,394 Posts
In addition, that PSU has an ATX design standard, meaing the 8A 12V+1 is dedicated to the CPU. This means you are left with 14A on 12V+2 for the graphics card and other 12V components. You would really need to be looking at 26A on a single rail quality unit.

For that card a 450W Corsair unit would suffice with 33A on the 12V rail and excellent quality. http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16817139003

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.