Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Manager, - Alternative Computing, - Design
6,529 Posts
I am confused. Are you looking at becoming one? For starters you need to have a handle on more than one distro of Linux. You need to understand the Industry standard which is red hat. Also, it doesn't hurt to learn Novells' linux distro.

You need to be good at shell programming, plus python, pearl, and C++. You also need to know the command line commands and what they do. Also, you should get a linux distro. For beginners, I would recommend Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, or Fedora Core.

But the major thing is that you need to be comfortable in the open-source enviroment, I don't mean a gui. You need to be able to be given a question like "I have forgotten my password, can you either find it for me, or reset it?" That is an easy one. Then go and do it with out having to think about the steps needed to get there.

I hope that this give you some insight into what you are going to need. And I don't mean to scare you away from it. Because I have listed a lot of stuff here, but, with some work it can all be learned.

Cheers!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Excellent advice from Mr wmorri. I would add learn vim or the vi editor. It is on every Unix/Linux system found. Also many packages like cron and vipw only work off-the-shelf if you know vim/vi (you can change some environment variables for other editors. Those other editors might not be around if you boot Linux into single user mode to fix a booting problem).

I would also suggest that you look into acquiring one of the RHCE (Redhat Certified Engineer) study guides books. Every major Linux/Unix system is covered including installs, rescues, ftp servers, nfs, samba, firewall, networks, etc. Even a book that is 5 years old is a great resource! When you can install a Linux sytem from start to finish as the book covers, you are ready to work as a System support engineer.

·
Manager, - Alternative Computing, - Design
6,529 Posts
Did you read my first post in this thread. Are you talking about being a tech support engineer for windows or linux? Also, are you talking about a read off a computer screen tech support person, or the next level up, that sometimes has backend access and other tools?

Cheers!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.