Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi:
I am a newbie on the computer forum and to computers in general. I have been running defrag on a weekly basis, but notice that it stops because a message said I have errors on my hard drive. So I run scandisk to fix the errors automatically. There are no bad sectors on my hard drive, but errors were found and fixed. Had a SirCam virus attack my computer, but I was able to eliminate it with the SirCam virus fix.
:confused:
What are errors? Scandisk is finding them weekly when I run scandisk.
What causes the errors, so maybe I can prevent them in the future?
Thanks for your responses and help.
Steven
Computer is original HP configuration except network card for AT&T cable modem, 2 gig slave hard drive, scanner and palm pilot

HP Pavilion 4440
AMD 333mhz
256 Mb Ram
Win 98 Version 2
AT&T cable modem
4.3 gig hard drive
McAfee virus scan updated weekly, if possible.
Only original HP softwares and my company softwares placed by company IT techs.

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks thedeuce75 & doonz

thedeuce75 and doonz:
Thanks for our responses.
I do not know what type of hard drive I have, but it can originally in the HP Pavilion 4440.
:confused:
Being a newbie, how do you run safe recovery?
Also I will check out the ontrack.com site.
Thanks again.
Steven.

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thedeuce75

Thedeuce75:
I ran a new thread with the following information. Your advice is needed on either this thread or the new one.
I have a:
HP Pavilion 4440
4.3 gig hard drive (unknown make and model)
1.0 gig slave hard drive (unknown make and model)
win 98 version 2
256 Mb ram
AT&T cable modem
I want to combine both hard drives into one 20 gig hard drive. I can't get rid of my 4.3 gig because is has all of the company's software and data.
Need your advice on:
Which brand to purchase?
After formatting my new 20 gig hard drive, do I place the new hard drive in the slave position, then image copy all of the information from the 4.3 gig to the new hard drive? Then remove the 4.3 gig (master) then place the new 20 gig hard drive into the master position? Am I correct? or going about it all wrong?
I am not sure if I can install my new 20 gig hard drive, then use the HP recovery CD because, it has win98 version 1 and my company IT upgraded my win98 to version 2 on my 4.3 gig hard drive, as it is needed to run the company's software.
Thanks for your response.
Steven, a computer newbie :confused:

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
doonz

Doonz: :confused:
Thanks for your response, but it is strange, I have ran scandisk 4 times in the past 10 days and no errors. Everything seems to have fixed itself. (Wishful thinking). But I am still going to get a new hard drive in the meantime.
Thanks for your response.
Steven.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.