Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Emachine T5048 ( I know it's a POS) that runs slower that mud going uphill. I've done everything I can think of to speed this machine up except for shutting down unneeded back ground programs. I don't know how to do this or which ones are safe to shut down. Help!!!!!!

·
Alternative Computing, Moderator
2,754 Posts
I have an Emachine T5048 ( I know it's a POS) that runs slower that mud going uphill. I've done everything I can think of to speed this machine up except for shutting down unneeded back ground programs. I don't know how to do this or which ones are safe to shut down. Help!!!!!!
Ideally when you first get your computer you need to run a scan with hijack this, autoruns or print a copy of all processes running in task manager.

When your machine runs slow, it may be due to running unneccary tasks, lack of memory, lack of free HD space, not enough space in the paging file or even a virus or malware.

This link has info about task manager and other information:
http://www.zen22142.zen.co.uk/Media/man_virus.htm

However you will need to print off a copy of whats running on your system (either from task manager, autoruns or hijack this) and then search on google for each and every process.

At least in task manager you can click on user name, to sort processes run by you and by the system. Svchost.exe occurs frequently in windows systems and some processes are dependent on others.

There is a free utility called "startup inspector" http://www.windowsstartup.com/startupinspector.php
install this, you then have the option to disable whats starting (without deleting it) and it has the advantage of consulting on the internet which processes are essental, user choice and not required.

One warning though, be careful if youre unsure as you may make your system unbootable, so now is the time to back all your own files, bookmarks and work.
Some well known resource hogs, norton, mcaffeee, messenger, itunes
Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.