Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thats the name of my drive i had xp on it and wanted to back it up to my larger drive and after i made the back up copy the drive didnt work right. I get an error if i set the jumpers to slave telling me that i need to reset it up im my bios but i dont see anything i can do. So when it is hooked up as a slave i cant boot to an os i hooked it up as a master and tied runing the westerdigital Data Lifeguard Diagnostic - DOS (CD) but it said it didnt see a drive. I just put it in as master and tried running xp cd but it gets an error when i try to install and i cant use the recovery consule. Also i tried using a killdisk but i got a killdisk.exe error. So does anyone have any ideas? :sad:

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Welcome to TSF:

download (free) and run this hard drive eraser on it /

http://dban.sourceforge.net/ >>>> download the floppy version

make sure your boot order is set to boot from the floppy drive as first option

once inside the Dban console (after prog start-up) the easiest way is to choose "auto" mode / make sure you pull the power plugs from any drives you DONT want erased / Dban CAN wipe multiple drives if not careful.

regards

joe

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tried

I tried using the cd version and the only way i found i can get my bios to recongize the drive is if it is set to slave a i have a master in. I get an error from bios and if i by pass it windows on my master seems to have a problem with it to and restartes. So i put in the cd booted up got to the wipe menue removed my master's data cable then told it to auto. I thought it worked and was all happy and when to take a shower so i could go to sleep but when i came back it said it ended wipe due to nonfaital error so i tried booting up and windows still didnt work with it. Any more ideas?
It's not dead is it?

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
sounds like you have a bad hard drive / download the manufacturer's diagnostic utility and run it one the drive / i strongly suggest you get yourself a floppy / they are quite necessary for doing this kind of work and they are cheap !!

let us know your results of the drive diagnostic

regards

joe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.