Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 250gb Western Digital External Drive which I would like to leave on all the time as an accessible shared system drive. As it is still more an archiving/backup drive I was happy to find out that the drive has a sleep mode (this is set in the firmware, there are no utilties from western digital that let you set user defined times). The documentation says it should set in after 10 minutes. It comes preformatted with fat32 and on testing the drive the first day I was happy to observe how it all of a sudden got quite because it had gone into sleep mode.
Then I split the drive into 2 partitions using ntfs. After this it never went into sleep mode anymore. Searching on the web I found out about ntfs indexing and turned it off for both partitions. This didnt help so I just reformatted the the whole 250gb again with western digitals fat32 utitlity as one partition hoping I'd put it back into the state I bought it in. Unfortunately sleep mode is not to be seen anymore. Once its on it stays on. I also read about how usb ports can keep devices awake so i tried unplugging it from the usb port. This doesnt help either. After 10 minutes it does start making and interesting click similar to one a drive makes on a self check but it doesnt shut down (sleep). I don't think its a bad click i.e. dont think anything is wrong with the drive. If I plug it into the usb port again all works fine.
Would anyone have any ideas?

Thx

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.