Tech Support banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled my external hard drive (the backup) from its secure location to copy files to my NAS. at exactly 7GB of data copied, the HDD starts clicking, and no more data was being transferred. I unplugged the HDD from the NAS, and hooked it up to my Mac. The HDD spun and then started to click, and then powered down. Western digital discovery software recognized it being connected, but unable to access it. I launched disk utility and it was not recognized. I tried terminal and it was not listed with any of the volumes. Last two ditch, I tried ddrescue and linux and with no luck. None of these tools were able to recognize that the HDD exist, and only WD discovery software did.
What could be the issue? a firmware problem? PCB or the head assembly?

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
27,729 Posts
Sounds like the HD died. If you want to have any chance of data recovery, stop doing anything.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like the HD died. If you want to have any chance of data recovery, stop doing anything.
That I am aware of, I am trying to brainstorm whether it is the PCB, firmware, or the head assembly. If it the former two, I can fix it myself, but if the latter, the data is not worth the price tag that comes with professional recovery.

·
Premium Member
41,311 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I pulled my external hard drive (the backup) from its secure location to copy files to my NAS. at exactly 7GB of data copied, the HDD starts clicking, and no more data was being transferred. I unplugged the HDD from the NAS, and hooked it up to my Mac. The HDD spun and then started to click, and then powered down. Western digital discovery software recognized it being connected, but unable to access it. I launched disk utility and it was not recognized. I tried terminal and it was not listed with any of the volumes. Last two ditch, I tried ddrescue and linux and with no luck. None of these tools were able to recognize that the HDD exist, and only WD discovery software did.
What could be the issue? a firmware problem? PCB or the head assembly?
Sounds like the hard drive arm is stuck, if its been dropped that will do it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts