Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a western digital 60 GB drive running under WinXP as a slave for over a year with no problems. Now when I go to access drive it prompts to format the drive and currently says the data is in RAW format. I used VirtualLab Data Recovery Software and it shows all the old data there but a hefty price to recover. I read a similar problem posted on this forum with the following posted by user idtent but could not contact directly.

===========================
idtent posted the following:

Your 80 gig hard drive had a boot overlay on it.

Something like ez-bios or Maxblaster.

If you used fdisk to set it active you may have destroyed the data.

Depending on the manufacturer, Western Digital has datalifeguard tools that will help you. Post again and I will explain a little more in detail how to recover your data if it is a western digital harddrive. Might be able to help if it is a maxtor also
============================

I have downloaded the datallifeguard tools but don't want to do anything that would end any chances of retrieving the data. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

·
ID10T Circuit replacement
1,038 Posts
Have you changed your primary hard drive lately? What is the most recent change that caused the second drive to become unreadable?

Let me know.
Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No changes at all. I recall having a hang during start up a few days ago, but restarted and the OS loaded fine. But it wasn't until just a couple days ago that I had a need to access the drive in question that I realized I had a problem.

·
ID10T Circuit replacement
1,038 Posts
When did you add the primary drive?? And have you always had access to the other harddrive before this happened?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've had the primary drive since building the system and have had access to the slave drive with no problems since installing over a year ago.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I downloaded PC Inspector File Recovery and was able to retrieve a significant amount of the lost data. Thanks alot!! But still have some not showing up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.