Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I really appreciate there's a place I can channel my frustration to, and I'm really hopeful someone can help me here...

MY SYSTEM

- Toshiba Satellite P300 laptop
- Chipset: Intel Core Duo T5750 @2.0 GHz
- 4 GB RAM
- Gfx: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3470
- Sound: Conexant High Definition SmartAudio 221

THE SYMPTOMS

The longer the laptop is on, the longer it stalls when clicking anything. The more programs are running, the quicker it starts the stalling. It starts hardly noticable but goes up to 30 seconds (that's the latest point when I've restarted the laptop til now).
I can always freely move the cursor, it's never a problem. But even clicking a desktop icon will take time til it reacts. If I click a program, I have a "no reply" in the top bar until I can resume. The amount of time I have when it doesn't stall gets shorter the longer the stall takes.
The weird thing: I've done various performance tests, and the results are always fine - it's like they don't notice the stall, they're effected by it in a way that they don't catch it.

I don't know if it's a clue, but streaming videos stutter while they are loading (but usually not when they are fully loaded).
In my browser (I've tried Firefox, IE8 and Google Chrome), fluid scrolling is hardly possible while the page is still loading something - so the scroll bar shortly freezes and then jumps.

WHAT I'VE DONE SO FAR (with only minimal improvement or without success)

- Complete scans with Spybot S&D, Avira Antivir and RegCure (no/minimal issues)
- Harddisk defragmentation
- Updated all relevant drivers
- Memtest
- Checked process monitor for memory leaks
- Disabled Antivir and Spybot (no change)
- Windows performance tests (all fine)
- Online bandwidth speedtests (also fine)

I've probably done some more, but I don't recall at the moment.

Here's a screenie with my active processes. Translation of the tabs:

Name - CPU - RAM - E/A (read) - E/A Bytes (read) - E/A Bytes (write) - Description

I'd so appreciate if you could help me with this, I've already spent so many days trying to find out what's wrong, it's so frustrating...
If you need any further info, plz let me know!

·
Registered
150 Posts
A similar thing happened to me on my Sony laptop. After the stuttering, it went into endless loops of BSOD's.

I found it to be defective hard drive and RAM. Sent it back to Sony (luckily it was under warranty) and had them replace it.

Is your laptop under warranty. It seems to be either a RAM or a hrad drive problem. Can't be sure on either, but thats what it seems like.

My laptop was also passing the RAM and hard drive tests. A quick replacement did the trick.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, it's still under warranty. I'm thinking about letting a local tech shop repair it though, cause I'm reluctant to go through the hassle of reinstalling everything. Plus, warranty jobs take notoriously looooong.

I got the tipp on another forum to monitor the CPU temperature. It goes way up to 72° while a normal temp would be in the late 40s. So I guess that's my main problem. If your laptop passed RAM and HD tests too, though, who knows what else might be wrong with it, lol. Maybe getting a replacement would indeed be safest...

Thanks for your hints, m8.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.