Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently reinstalled windows vista (vista ultimate 64bit) I am running on board audio from my asus a8n sli deluxe motherboard (Realtek AC'97 audio) When I first installed vista the audio would cut out randomly for just a split second... as time went on it became more prevalent and eventually the sound quit working at all. So I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers and to my surprise the sound was working again but was still cutting out intermittently, which eventually started happening more frequently again and quit working at all. I have no clue where to go from here and this is beginning to be very frustrating.

My full system specs:

Asus A8N SLI Deluxe mobo
AMD 3700+
Nvidia Geforce 7900GT
2gb RAM
Vista Ultimate
Sound is run via fiber optic to surround sound receiver
2 HDD raided
1 HDD for media no raid
500 watt PSU

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hello,
You mentioned you have a fiber optic cable, by that im assuming you mean a optical cable, the one that has the red light in it, and plugs into a squareish port.

First thing I would check would be the actual cable. Make sure that the red light is going through it, unplug it from the receiver and see if the light is there, if it isn't make sure the light is on in the port on your computer.

Second thing, I checked the Asus website for your driver. The lastest audio driver is 6.0.1.6202 if you dont have that version go to support.asus.com. If you don't know how to find your driver version you go to the device manager, go to your sound device, right click go to properties, and then click the driver tab.

It also mentions on there website that this is a beta driver, which can cause weird issues like that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It doesnt "crackle" the sound just cuts out and then back on and eventually it quits making sound at all. I have tried with a different audio cable, but i will try it with a different set of speakers and see if i have any luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.