Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm not exactly sure where this thread belongs, since I'm not exactly sure what's wrong. I have had serious computer problems for about a month now. I have tried to fix it, but so far, I have falied.

The problem:
Anytime I try to load graphic-intense system-intense programs, it either freezes or gives me an error.

I noticed it about a week after I installed my new video card (GeForce 4 TI 4200). My computer started to slow down in everything it did. I would lag in games that I shouldn't, programs like windows media player 9 would freeze (but the music would still play normally). 3D mark froze. It usually fixed itself after a few seconds. It slowly got worse. I couldn't run 3d mark anymore. It got to the point where I couldn't even run Age of Empires (yea, the original one). It would freeze. I reformatted several times with fresh copies of XP. I even tried a friends copy. I went on vaccation for a week and my brother worked on my computer some. He nor I know what he did, but for some reason, it's partially working now. I can get into games like SOF 2, at least for a few minutes.

After I play games for a minute or two, the screen either freezes or I get a VC++ runtime error (attached).

I know it's not a video card problem, I've tried two different cards.
I don't think its an HD problem, I ran full WD test.
Not sound problem, I've tried 2 cards.
Not memory problems, I've tried 2 chips in different slots.
I've checked all of the connections.

System Specs:
Windows XP SP1
Motherboard: link
Athlon XP 1800+
512MB pc2100 ddr
sound blaster live!
Chaintech GeForce 4 ti 4200

All updated drivers (i've even tried old video drivers, but they didn't fix it). I've tried directx 8, 9.0a, and 9.0b.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not overclocking

I've reformmated several times with two different copies of XP, so it's not spyware or virii.

I've reformatted recently, so no reason to defrag.

I ran Western Digital disk scan, it's better than windows. It didn't find any errors.

I've tried right after a fresh install of XP, so nothing was running in the background.

I'll try new drivers, but I just installed some after the reformat.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Temperature?

What's your system and CPU temperature looking like? Often times that sort of thing ties into a fan dying in your system. I just went through that with my own computer.

Oh, and had Soldier of Fortune II been working for you before? I've yet to get it running on my computer. =P

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yea, i've had SOF2 before. I've had a similar problem before, with a single white pixle in the top left corner. It was a heat problem then. Then I got a new fan. Temps are fine now, like they were when it was still working. All of my fans are still working at normal speed. I still don't know whats wrong, maybe power supply? I did just get a new video card. I don't want to buy a power supply just to find that it doesn't fix anything.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm...

Occasionally I get OpenGL errors from SOF2. My video card isn't the problem, since I've tried 2 others. It says windows recovered from a crash, and SOF2 gives me the opeGL error. Could that be a problem with the power supply? Like the vid card stops working for a sec due to loss of power?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have it set to let software decide anti-aliasing, etc. I have tried them off, also with acceleration down. Still didn't work. I ran dxdiag, it says everything is fine. The tests wont work, though. It said I should see a box and some other stuff, but I see nothing. DirectDraw and Direct3D tests failed. What's strange is that I know it's not a vid card problem.

I use BIOS to check temps. They are where they were at when it was working.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
336 Posts
I ran dxdiag, it says everything is fine. The tests wont work, though. It said I should see a box and some other stuff, but I see nothing. DirectDraw and Direct3D tests failed.

I'm confused. How can it be fine if the tests failed? I would try to reinstall it...or update to 9.b...make a restore point.

what driver are you using?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
First off...
I have reformatted several times, so it's not driver problems. I have tried both new and old drivers, and new and old versions of direct x, including 9.0b.

In the DirectX files tab and Display tab, it says: "No problems found", however, the tests don't work. I am currently using Direct X 9.0b and the latest NVidia drivers.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
336 Posts
If installed Drivers over drivers that might cause problems.

you might try deleting all video drivers first....I use this and then install the latest nvidia driver.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea, I use that too. What is strange is that it just started messing up one day, i hadn't installed new drivers for at least a month. I don't think it's a problem with the drivers.

I think it's either a motherboard or power supply issue, and I'm leaning towards power supply. What do you think?

·
Registered
336 Posts
I've reformmated several times with two different copies of XP, so it's not spyware or virii.

did you check the sites I posted?...just to make sure? I get at least 5 spyware bugs an hour.

Could be your powersupply but there is no way to check except to replace it. I can't think of anything else other than the things I've posted.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I use S&D, it's definitions are updated more than Adaware. I also use Norton Internet Security, which include Norton Antivirus and Norton personal firewall. I always keep all definitions up to date. I think that I'm going to get a new power supply. If it doesn't work, I can always send it back.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Like I said, I've reformatted many times before, and each time I installed SOF2. I don't use AOL, so that's not the problem. I'm getting a new power supply this weekend; we'll see if that helps.

Thanks for your input,
Nathan

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I replaced the power supply with a new 350 watt allied power supply. It still isn't working. I'm thinking it might be the motherboard, any ideas?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.