Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

I'm not sure if this is the right section of the forum to post in, but it seemed the most appropriate to me, which i will explain now. My problem started about a week and a half ago, when i had a BSOD happen out of the blue. Ever since then my computer has been acting rather odd, getting more blue screens, with a few different error codes on each, as well as some other weird goings-on. I play World of Warcraft, and after between an hour and 3 hours of playing that, the game will crash and come up with an error. As soon as that happens, other things start to go wrong, like firefox will continuously crash within 15 seconds of opening it, along with internet explorer, msn messenger, media player etc. If i do not restart my computer, i will likely get a blue screen with one of the few different error messages i've come across. Restarting fixes the problem for a while (usually between an hour and about 5 hours) but then it will happen again. If i have been playing World of Warcraft, and it crashes and gives me the error, if i try to log back onto that, it will crash before even getting into the game. As before, a restart will fix it temporarily.

Now, i do have a bit of computing experience, also my dad has some knowledge, but so far it hasn't helped. The first thing i though to try was a fresh re-install of windows, because that usually solves most problems. So i did a fresh install, installed all my drivers and updated them, and everthing was going fine untill i tried to install World of Warcraft. The installation failed 4 times before i managed to get it to work. After finally getting it to work i started playing and hoped the fresh install of windows had fixed whatever was causing my issues, and it seemed to work for almost a day, but then it came back. Same things happening as before. Now it dawned on me that it was something serious wrong with my computer, and would not be easily solved. So i started thinking it might be something wrong with my hardware, but i do not know what (this is why i was unsure which section to post this thread in). Here are the different blue screen errors i have come across.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL - this one i know is memory related, i had it before on a previous machine, which i fixed by switching the ram sticks to different ports. So i thought ok, i'll use the same solution again. So far this particular blue screen has not come up again, but there are others.

MEMORY_MANAGEMENT - again, memory related, although i think i have had this one pop up after i tried the above solution.

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA - another one that is apparently memory related.

Also i have read that these can be driver related problems, but after a fresh install/update of drivers it did not seem likely the case for me. After seeing these 3 blue screens i thought, ok i guess my RAM is faulty or something. So i ran Memtest86, and before the test had even been going for 1 minute, it stopped due to errors. So i was happy that i had found the problem in my computer, so i proceeded to pull out my 4 sticks of ram individually and run the memtest on each one seperately to find the culprit of the errors. After that short period of happiness, it dissipated when all 4 of my ram sticks stopped the memtest at the same spot. I find it hard to believe that all 4 sticks are faulty in exactly the same way? also, 2 sticks i bought when i built this rig, and 2 i bought 2 months later when i decided i wanted more. And before you ask, yes they are exactly the same type of ram, identical in every way. So that rules out a bad batch from the manufacturer. So now i was wondering, could all 4 ram sticks be bad? or could it be all 4 ram ports on my motherboard? this is where i was thinking this problem would likely turn out to be beyond my knowledge to fix.

Another of the blue screens i have had appears not to be memory related. It did not come up with an error name as such, but down the bottom it did have nv4_disp.dll written there. So i googled that, and apparently that is video card related, whether it be drivers or something else. Again, drivers seemed unlikely after a fresh install of windows. If it does mean something is wrong with my video card internally, then its worst case scenario for me, my video card was not cheap at all. A page that i found said this error could be caused by a bad heatsink on the gpu, or fried capacitors on the card among a few other things, so i pulled the card out, but could not detect anything because my video card is completely encased. (its a Geforce 9800gx2) One thing i have not mentioned yet, is that after a couple of the blue screens i have had, windows would run ChkDsk on startup to repair corrupt windows files. So i thought what if it my hard drive was faulty and screwing with important windows files? i thought about then for a while, then in the middle of some research i had my computer blue screen again and run ChkDsk again, and then it would not boot into windows. It would end at a black screen with an error message "could not find SAMLIB.dll" or something a long those lines, and would go no further. So i figured i'll assume it is my hard drive, so i disconnected it and pulled it out and proceeded to format and install windows on one of my other hard drives i have in this rig. I hoped this would fix it, but again, after a few hours the problems came back. This also ruled out my hopes of the first install just being faulty. So now im completely stumped. I would have replaced me RAM already just to see if that fixed all the problems, including the nv4_disp.dll one, but my dad thinks that its too hard to believe all 4 sticks of ram stop at exactly the same point on the memtest. So i decided to post this to get some feedback before i spend the money too.

My rig specs are:
Intel q6600 quad cpu
Gigabyte S-series motherboard
XFX Geforce 9800gx2
4gb crucial ballistix tracer ram (ddr2 1066)
corsair 620w psu
windows xp sp3

I have spoken on this for long enough, i dont want to turn anyone away with a wall of text, so i'll leave it there for now.
any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
5 minutes after posting this thread, upon double clicking the world of warcraft exe file, it went straight to a blue screen with an error name i havn't come across yet.

MULTIPLE_IRP_COMPLETE_REQUESTS

upon googling this error, they say it is yet another one that is likely a problem related with drivers. A page that i found told me to run sigverif to verify unsigned device drivers, so i have just done that. the only one that has come up is this:

nv4_mini.dll

there seems to be a link with the nv4_disp.dll i mentioned earlier. interesting. After scrolling through Device Manager, i have located both nv4_disp.dll and nv4_mini.dll under driver details for my video card...this doesnt sound good. It says this nv4_mini.dll was last modified on the 10th of january 2008, is that significant in any way?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi..
Before we're going to go to the advanced stuff
try this:
Go to desktop > properties > options > advanced, now can you see a page called ASUS?
If you do go to it.
In the asus page you can find 2 different pages on the first there is an option about diabling GamerOSD and on the other page about diabling asus enchanced, disable them both.
Now try running WoW, Still got bsod? If so reply and we wil contiue working the problem

Bye for now. //Zootix

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply.

I assumed you meant right click desktop -> properties -> settings - > advanced, yes? if so i checked there and there is no ASUS tab there. only General, Adapter, Monitor, Troubleshoot, Color Management, and Geforce 9800gx2 (my video card).

One thing i just noticed and seems a bit odd is i was looking at the Adapter tab in that box, and it has the adapter information. under memory size it says 512mb, but my video card is a 1gb card.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi..
Yes thats right.
well please zip up the files found in windows/minidump and attach them to your next post
Bye for now // Zootix

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, there were only 2 files in the minidump folder. Remembering that this is a fresh install of windows, i dont know how much you will find out from these as a lot of the blue screens etc were on previous installations of windows.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi..
Knowing that you have reinstalled windows is going to help here.

OK now go START > RUN > type EventVwr.msc > Click System try finding stuff named Save Dump or something like that.
If you open a save dump report you will see an error code like 0x1000000a (0x00000016, 0x0000001c, 0x00000000, 0x80502392)
OK
Bye for now //zootix

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, i have done as you suggested, and found a total of 2 save dumps in that list. Here they are:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000044 (0x8a0d1688, 0x00000d64, 0x00000000, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini091408-01.dmp.

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x100000be (0xba643500, 0x0a901121, 0xb279e6bc, 0x0000000b). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini091308-01.dmp.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi..
Ok first the 0x00000044: MULTIPLE_IRP_COMPLETE_REQUESTS This is often caused by a hardware driver. Ok check the device manager found in Control panel > System > device manager is anything yellow flagged?
Bye for now //Zootix

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nothing appears to be yellow flagged. But i had read up on the MULTIPLE_IRP_COMPLETE_REQUESTS yesterday, and i came across a suggestion to run sigverif to check for unsigned driver files. I did this and the only one that came up was nv4_mini.dll. Then, looking in device manager under my video card i found this particular file and it said it was from january this year, so i figured something wasnt right. so i downloaded the latest drivers from nvidia, and ran sigverif again after installing them. This time there was no unsigned drivers, so i'm now assuming this particular little issue is solved. I wish i could say the same with the rest of the problems i've been having.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I went out and bought some new RAM today, because after running memtest86, i knew there was some faults somewhere. But this has not fixed the problems, so i ran another memtest, and the test stopped at the same point that it did with my old RAM. Does anyone have any idea why this could be?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi again,
Just could'nt stay away from this thread.
Well im not very good with hardware but have you checked your temperatures?
Or maybe its the thing you mentioned earlier "under memory size it says 512mb, but my video card is a 1gb card."
Ive send a PM to a Moderator hopefully he'll be here soon
Sorry for my bad english, im 13 years old and swedish.
Bye for now //Zootix

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.