Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so last week my PIII (1Gig system) had the p/supply crap out on it. (Running Windows XP) When it died, what I saw was the light to the CD was on(green) and the light to the front bezel was on, but no light to the motherboard. After I power cycled the p/supply switch there were NO lights on anywhere. I guess the p/supply just died. I replaced the p/supply and now I am off and running. (that was the history for you).
Now when I hit the power "on" button on the front bezel the power to the CD and front bezel light come on, but the hard drives don't start up. To get the system to boot properly I have to switch the power button on the p/supply (back of PC) on and off before I hit the front panel button to get the system to boot up.

Weird? Any ideas???

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
I'm guessing that the specification of the +5SB current of your current P/S isn't sufficient for your system. That is the voltage that stays on even though the power is off, unless you turn off the switch on the P/S panel. I'd check the P/S spec and see what current the +5SB output has, it should be several amps. I have several supplies that were for older systems I guess, and they have less than an amp. I have one less than I used to, because one went up in smoke bringing up a new system, and then I noticed the 2A requirement on the +5SB for the new MB! :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, thanks!

I had a feeling it was something to do with the output, but wasn't sure of the full fuctionality. Thank you very much for your time and wisdom!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, worked...

Thanks bud, swapped out the supply and now the system works the way it used to. Must have been something on the 5vSB supply...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.