Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of a sudden, my computer reboots rather than shutting down when I specifically tell it to shut down. Can't shut down now. I don't wanna have to use the power button everytime I wanna shut down now. Anyone have a clue how to fix other than reinstalling windows XP?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SPEEDO said:
Take a look here ................:D
Thanks for the link. I have narrowed down the problem to my installation of the Roxio CD-burning software. So I uninstalled the Roxio Easy CD-Creator 4.5 and the problem is still there. Did it f**k up my registry? Will I need to reinstall Windows? Please help.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TheTechIsIn said:
How were you even able to install it?, when I tried it told me to get bent and go get an upgrade :eek:

It's funny because as I installed Easy CD Creator 4.0, Windows was complaining about incompatible software after rebooting. Then, after I upgraded the Roxio software to 4.5, everything was fine. I even successfully burned a few CD's. Then my computer started to reboot when I told it to turn off. Now, after I unclicked the "automatically reboot when critical error" button, it gives me the windows XP version of the blue screen of death when I try to shut down.

I already unistalled the Easy CD Creator. Anyone know how I can fix this without reinstalling Windows?

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
You could try searching the registry for any references of it..

In the find section just type the name and delete it as you see it...BUT ONLY IT, not anything else..

I would put my disclaimer up ... but cant find the file. :(

Anyway don't try it unless you've messed with the reg. before or are confident you can do it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TheTechIsIn said:
You could try searching the registry for any references of it..

In the find section just type the name and delete it as you see it...BUT ONLY IT, not anything else..

I would put my disclaimer up ... but cant find the file. :(

Anyway don't try it unless you've messed with the reg. before or are confident you can do it.

I got it fixed guys, thanks for all the responses. One of the links that Speedo gave teaches me what to do in the registry step by step to fix the problem after uninstalling the Roxio crap.

·
STILL Stuck in a treestand....
929 Posts
You know it's funny how something so simple can cause so many problems. I had a floppy drive on one computer give me the same problem. Then I had to download a patch file for the same problem on a different computer running Win98 SE about two weeks later. Me everytime I think I'm getting smart at PC repair, a computer comes along and teaches me that I'm not as smart as I think I am. Drupy

·
Registered
25 Posts
WIN-XP Shutdown/Reboot Problem

Drupy said:
You know it's funny how something so simple can cause so many problems. I had a floppy drive on one computer give me the same problem. Then I had to download a patch file for the same problem on a different computer running Win98 SE about two weeks later. Me everytime I think I'm getting smart at PC repair, a computer comes along and teaches me that I'm not as smart as I think I am. Drupy
Yes, I ran WIN98SE for around two years, upgrading the WIN98 to mainly get the CD-ROM disk and the documentation, etc., then I decided around two weeks ago to upgrade the OS to WIN-XP, since WIN98SE isn't supported anymore, except for online self-help (8 years support there), and there aren't going to be any more critical updates for it, and it had a shutdown problem too, but I downloaded the "shutdown fix" for WIN98SE, and it basically adds a two-second delay to the shutdown process, to allow the computer to write to the hard drive, as otherwise the computer would get stuck on the shutdown screen.

I had corrected everything with WIN98SE to my satisfaction, and I'd still be using it, except for the "memory leak" problem, which I couldn't fix, and I'd have to reboot every two hours or so, because even though System Information would show that I had over 400 Mbs of RAM free, the computer would be "out of memory," so I'd have to reboot to stop the "running dangerously low in resources, please close some programs" or whatever messages from occuring and the computer would lock up on me too sometimes, even if I only had one or two programs running...I have 640 Mbs of RAM so I shouldn't have run out of RAM or memory.

I was able to extend the computer's "on time" though by using Cacheman and maybe Ram Clean I think they were called, RAM management programs which attempt to "reclaim" no longer used RAm for User Resources, but I could go maybe 5 or 6 hours or so, depending upon what I was doing, before rebooting.

So, anyway, when I tried to run the set up program for WIN-XP, I'd get a message stating that the video card was incompatible with the motherboard, no matter what I did, until I didn't follow "their" "instructions," which was to run WIN98SE and then do the Start, Run, D:/Setup method, and instead I had to boot the computer from the WIN-XP disk.

I now have the computer rebooting when shutting down, and I don't have Roxio installed on my computer either, plus I also tried the Right-Clicking on My Computer, Clicking on Properties, then on the Advanced tab, etc., to clear the Automatic Reboot box or whatever it's called, and it's still rebooting.

I also read about having Norton Anti-Virus going or whatever, but I don't have that either, but I am using Avast Anti-Virus, so I'm wondering if I need to shut that off before shutting down?

How I shutdown now is that right after the computer says that it's shutting down, and when the screen goes Black or blank, just before the reboot starts, or just before the BIOS shows at the top line of the screen, I press the Off button on the front of the computer.

Anyway, I hope that WIN-XP manages RAM better than WIN98SE did, as I especially had a problem if I had to do alot of different tasks, opening and closing different programs and also when listening to a playlist using either Windows Media Player or RealOne Player...I could actually see the RAM go down as the player played each tune.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.