Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this weird virus...Well, the thing is, I can't delete it, it only has the options to: Preview, esit, print, open with..., and send to... It is a .Jpg file I got from KaZaA of Final Fantasy VIII. I am currently running Windows XP with Norton Antivirus 2002, but that doesn't seem to pick it up. I tried everything! It won't work! Help me please!!!:upset: :bandit:

·
STILL Stuck in a treestand....
929 Posts
First of all I tell everybody I know to stay away from Kazaa. It's a hacking field. We did a project in our computer class where me and a buddie hacked it. It's a very unsecure way to get into your computer. People there can get any information off of your computer they want.

As for the virus I'm not sure which way would be the best to correct your problem. If no one else has an answer I'll do some research and let you know.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
First of all I tell everybody I know to stay away from Kazaa. It's a hacking field.
amen.

If Nortan is not picking it up how do you know its a virus :confused:

What program told you it was??

You could always goto the command prompt and run attrib on it and see if its got an -s or -r associated with the file.

·
929 Posts
Norton has a feature which allows you to send them the infected files and they'll let you know what they find in them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Drupy said:
Norton has a feature which allows you to send them the infected files and they'll let you know what they find in them.
Oh really? Cool! :D Is it on their website or in the program? Wouldn't they get the virus if you send it to them? X(

·
929 Posts
The viruses are coming from other users. There not sent directly to Kazaa.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
GenomeX said:

Oh really? Cool! :D Is it on their website or in the program? Wouldn't they get the virus if you send it to them? X(
No, actually you send them a "quarantined" file(s) and they examine them...its like sending them a "snapshot" of it...

It is actually in the program itself..If by any chance Norton finds anything suspicious on your machine, it isolates it and it gives you an options to submit a report to them...

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Merlin back me up on this...there are no virus in the wild (not in a lab setting) right now that can be hidden in a true JPG file...(true=a picture that opens)...go to My computer View or tools and find folder options...make sure show all files are shown --including system files is checked or unchecked (forgot how it reads but you want to view all files) and Hide extensions for know file types is disable...HIDE NOTHING

It is possible you have a corrupt Kazza folder...and there was a virus over the summer that when infected recreates it self with fake file names ( that of popular games and movies) s that when others see it they will download and infect thier computers...the payload was the fact that it ate up drive space...

what symptoms are you experinceing that is making you think you have a virus...

goto www.antivirus.com/freetools for a second opinion

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
yah Doonz... a corrupt (infected) file might carry an extention or even an icon of .jpg file but in reality its hiding a form of virus or a "delivery vehicle" for a virus... If you have Norton, it is a good idea if you already have downloaded the file, right click on it and select "scan with Norton AV..".

later.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.