Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I recently upgraded myself from an AMD XP1800+ with an FIC nForce2 board to this new 3.2 Ghz P4 with an Asus P4C800-E Deluxe. So far, the board is stable as heck, but truthfully I cannot seem to feel much of a performance boost over my old system, if any, which is now my wifes. It actually takes longer to boot than my old system, and it does not feel anymore responsive. The processor does however benchmark well with Sandra. I have tried a fresh install with the newest Intel INF and everything. I have a gig of Corsair Value Select memory, 2 ATA 100 Western digital drives one 30 gig for boot and one 100Gig for storage on the Primary IDE controller. I have a PNY GeForce4 ti4200 128MB 8X AGP card in it. I put it in a Lian-Li case with a 350 watt Enermax power supply. The BIOS read a CPU temp of 52c, but the Asus utility read a cpu temp of 43C. I am running XP with SP1. I have a DVD and a CDRW installed on the secondary IDE controller. I do not have a floppy installed. I am not using SATA or RAID, so I have disabled the promise controller in the BIOS. I think that should cover just about everything on my system. Does anybody elso notice this, or am I just special? Any Ideas would be most greatly appreciated. I have heard how great and fast this board is, and so far I don't see it. Sorry about the performance question Clintfan, but I am just desperate. Thanks,

-Dpain1

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
Ahh, you've been doing some careful reading. Desperate? Hardly. Sounds like you have a great new, working system. You're one of the lucky ones. You might just be looking for a tuneup.

BTW what is your memory speed type? PC3200? And is that in the form of 2x512, 4x256, or 1x1G?

Also what are you using the second HDD for, are your drives partitioned, and for what purposes? Adjusting where your data is, relative to where your O/S is, can have some impact. You say you don't need the Promise. Well, for the most efficient data movement within your box, maybe you do. It depends.

So Sandra says it's faster, but that's all artificial. What apps do you use day-to-day that make it feel to you that the new rig is merely equivalent? And is a network involved?

Also, now that you have achieved a working box, there are more things you can do. For example you can partition your HDD to place your Virual Memory swap file on its own parition, using a fixed size. It's even faster to put it on a separate HDD, but with your current devices that would entail swapping your 2nd HDD over to be Secondary Master; this probably wouldn't hurt, and might actually help.

Since you are on XP another thing you can do is visit the http://www.blackviper.com website and try a few of the Super Tweaks, and Services adjustments. Not all of them... you must read the descriptions and evaluate for yourself one-by-one which changes you feel safe with. Me, I did a couple of the tweaks and disabled some --but not all-- of the Services recommended for the "Safe" mode. My PC boots to a hardware profile I call "Normal (Adjusted)" but the original is still there as a 2nd choice. I'm really happy with the results but I still am not able to use the new PC fulltime, due to furniture issues.

Hope something here will help you get a bit further,
I may not have answers but I might have some food for thought.

-clintfan

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perhaps desperate is a little overstated indeed, and I do appreciate the food for thought Clintfan. I mainly use your run of the mill programs like Office and what not, and they generally perform fine. The one that I really thought I'd see the difference in is Visual Studio.Net. That takes a while to open on both my old system and my new one. No real network type programs where the network would be the bottleneck. I am using PC3200 2x512. My first hard drive is actually partitioned into a 15 gig partition for my main OS XP, and two 7 gig partitions that will be later used for Windows 2003 server and Linux. As of now, I have two installs of XP to set different things for trying to get better performance (Not overclocking mind you). My other drive is just one large partition used for file storage, and my swap files. I really don't want to sound like a spoiled baby that just wants more performance, but I really thought this thing would be noticeably faster than my old system. I was just surprised that it is not, and have been searching and searching for possibilities for improvement. When I first got my nForce2 board I had a similar problem. The board just did not seem as fast as I thought it should be, and that did turn out to be a problem with the nVidia chipset drivers. Once I changed the drivers, it made a huge difference. That is why I thought there had to be some kind of quirky issue that is preventing me to get the most out of this bad boy setup. I really just got some great deals to put this dream machine together, and I have just not been impressed with it's performance. I just expected more than I'm getting. I have put together 2.4 Ghz systems on the old 533 bus that just seemed faster than this. After putting together a few of those for other people, and really noticing a difference between them and my old trusty AMD, I decided to go back to the Intel way of life. Now I have buyer remorse, because I really expected this one to be a monster. Anyway, I will check out blackviper.com. Thanks,

-Dpain1

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.