Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i have 2 (maybe 3, have to check if it works) computers running windows 98, and my question is if there is some way to network these computers so that they act as one. (sort of poly-processing if you will.)

this is my first post by the way!

thanks in advance.

G

·
Yes there is a possible way but if you are connecting to your winXP network then in turn your network will have giant holes in your security. Crackers will try to attack these computers and gain access to all of your network. I would not reccomend this but if you still want to still do this then buy a Ethernet PCI card for each CPU. Then Put them through a router. Use a WinXP OS disc and put them all together using the CD.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Hi, You can net two machines running 98 using a Null Serial cable, a 4 bit parallel cable or a 8 bit parallel cable using 98's Direct Connect. Two can be netted with NIC cards in both and a crossed cable. With a NIC card in each three or more can be netted using standard cables and a Hub or switcher. You will only be able to access the drives on the other computers and some programs installed on one machine will run on all machines. There is a lot more to it than this. Research the net for lot's of help.

Good Luck, Jim

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yes there is a possible way but if you are connecting to your winXP network then in turn your network will have giant holes in your security. Crackers will try to attack these computers and gain access to all of your network. I would not reccomend this but if you still want to still do this then buy a Ethernet PCI card for each CPU. Then Put them through a router. Use a WinXP OS disc and put them all together using the CD.
im on 98, not xp :p

what if i use a router with a built in firewall?

(edit: 98se to be specific)

·
Global Moderator
51,635 Posts
What exactly are you trying to accomplish? If you're talking about file/print sharing, it's easy. OTOH, if you're talking about a multi-processor array, I think you're out of luck especially running W98. :smile:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What exactly are you trying to accomplish? If you're talking about file/print sharing, it's easy. OTOH, if you're talking about a multi-processor array, I think you're out of luck especially running W98. :smile:

im trying to effectively combine the power of these three lesser computers to act as one unit. now keep in mind, i dont even know if this is possible, and even so it's not like i need this to work. its more of a project sort of thing.

·
Registered
796 Posts
"Clustering" is what it sounds like you are trying to do and this is not an option in any of the non-server OS's. Windows 2000 and 2003 STANDARD edition can cluster, but they are expensive licenses, probably more than you want to spend on a project. I have capitilized STANDARD because the Small Business Server OS does not allow clustering.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.