Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'll give a quick run through and a list of the things I have tried. Honestly, I'm at a loss to what's going on at this point.

System Specs:
Motherboard - MSI K7N2
CPU - AMD atholon 2500+
Old Memory - OCZ 512 (2x 256) Dual Channel 333mhz ddr (PC 2700)
New Memory - Corsair 1g (2x 512) Dual Channel 400mhz ddr (PC 3200)
Hard Drive - Maxtor 180g 7200 rpm

Upon installation of the new memory my computer booted fine, and I used it for about 15 min before it froze up. Then it proceeds to lock up the instant the windows login pops up. After switching the old memory in and then the new memory back in I was able to get windows to login ok, but then I simulated the lockup by gently nudging my computer case!!!

This would lead me to believe that there is a hardware issue somewhere, but I tried formatting anyways. It deleted the old partition fine, but during the new windows installation it freezes on a certain %, even on different hard drives.

There was also a mention of my motherboard having bad capacitors, but I have looked at them and they look fine.

I've tried switching each module of old and new memory one at a time in each slot, and each time it locked up on the login screen.

The fact that the system will run the first couple minutes of installation and will boot off of the XP CD leads me to believe that it's not the memory, but I'm really not sure.

I would appreciate any help or suggestions you could give.

Sincerely,
Tyler

·
TSF Enthusiast
914 Posts
Hi Tyler and welcome to the Tech Support Forum,

I know exactly what your problem is (at least i think) - use your newest RAM and place only one module and place this in the top slot for dual channel. Do this throughout the whole of the process and it should go through without stopping, i'm 95% sure that this will fix the issue, if not, post back and we will go from there.

Regards,
Nick.

P.S. I hope you enjoy your time here with us lot!

Edit: Just to clear up, you must shut down the computer and then install the newest RAM into the top slot, then you must power-up again and start the installation from the start with only the one slot. Good luck!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hey, I will try this specific scenario with installing XP.

I'll try your specific suggestion and report back. If it does install XP does this mean I can only use one of the new sticks? or should I put the second stick back in after the installation is complete?

Thanks,
Tyler

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Unfortunately the one stick install froze at exactly the same place. I did notice that it freezes towards teh end of "installing devices" section after it asks for the date/timezone check.

Once again I'm back to ground zero in figuring out what is wrong :sigh:

·
TSF Enthusiast
914 Posts
Check your BIOS time and date, what does it say? After posting this try your new and old sticks (one at a time in the bottom slot), but before this reset your CMOS. This is a very long shot, but it rules out possibilities as to the cause.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
You might need to take the ram timings off of spd [auto] and relax the timings [slow them down] until windows is up and running. Try this before bumping the voltage on the ram up a tad.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Ok, i'll check the time and date. The only way I know of reseting the cmos is to remove the battery for a few min, is this what you mean?

As for the 'bottom slot', does that refer to the single slot non dual channeL? or the first slot dual channel closest to the mobo? ( they are set up like so )

cpu || |

Each bar is a memory slot ;)

I've already tried the ram settings tweak. The sticks come underclocked from the factory with a 3 cas setting.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
9,471 Posts
Yes you can remove the battery to clear the cmos but it is easier to use a jumper, look through your manual it should explain how.

Go into bios and lower the ram clock to 166mhz, it is most likely set to spd and this will make the ram run at its correct speed but the problem with that is your cpu is 333 mhz and its real clock is 166. Some socket A boards do not like to run the ram faster than the cpu so try that and report back

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The time and date were correct in the bios. After clearing the cmos there was an error on post that required me to press f1 to continue. Cmos checksum error. I believe this just has to do with taking the battery out, but I figure'd I would report it as always. I'll go home this evening and try to tweak the speed to get it to work. I'll report back to you guys from the library.

Is it possible that something is wrong with my motherboard?

I appreciate everyones help so far!

Thanks,
Tyler

·
TSF Team Emeritus
9,471 Posts
The checksum error is normal after a cmos clear and will not showup again unless of course you clear the cmos again.

but then I simulated the lockup by gently nudging my computer case!!!
I am concerned about that statement and yes it could have something to do with your motherboard so can you please explain this in more detail and does it still happen?

Set the ram clock to 166 and see if windows will install and report back what happens, if it still won't install we will have to look at other things.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can't reinstall windows, so I'm not sure if the physical movement of the case will simulate the problems.

Here's what I was able to discover. My FSB for the cpu was set @ 100mhz. This seems a little low since it can handle 166mhz as stated. I left it at 100mhz and put my dram speed to 83mhz (it was set at 200mhz on auto). The ras was 8 the rcd was 3 and the rp was 3, cas was 3 as well.

Same problem with installation freezeup.

I tried setting the cpu speed to 166 and the dram speed to 166mhz as well.

Same problem with installation freezeup.

I did notice, that once I made some changes, the bios, upon post, showed the ram as ddr 333, which was what it showed my old ram at.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
9,471 Posts
Start the computer and enter bios, while in bios does the movement of the case do anything? I am trying to determine weather the first time was a coincidence

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just ran back and tested it, no it didn't do anything. I'm guessing it was just a coincidence then.

So where do I go from here?

·
TSF Team Emeritus
9,471 Posts
Its good the ram showed up as ddr 333 that means its running at the same speed as the cpu, and yes your FSB should be set at 166

While in bios check your temps and voltages and post the here

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
AGP volt - 1.5v
Dram Volt - 2.6v
System Temp - 40C/104F
CPU Temp - 52C/127F

(This has always been a little high, i'm not sure if changing the bus to 166mhz would cause it to go up. I recall having trouble when I built teh computer about 4 years ago. I had to get a tornado fan with the stock heatsink to keep it cool enough to run.)

Vcore - 1.63v
+3.3v - 3.29
+5v - 5.10
+12v - 11.79
-12v - -12.11
-5v - -5.50
Battery - 2.96v
SVSB(v) - 4.94v

·
TSF Team Emeritus
9,471 Posts
Ok this I can tell you, you should not need a tornadoe fan to keep that cpu cool but more on this later.

Is the case side on now?

·
TSF Team Emeritus
9,471 Posts
Good leave the side off, your cpu temp is a bit high so make sure the heat sink is clear of dust.

Your voltages loog good.

Here is what I want you to do, put the orginal ram back in its orginals slots then,,,,,

clear the cmos again
start the computer and enter bios
load the optimized defaults or similar
remember to save when you exit
try the install again

Its late and I have to go but will be back in tomarrow afternoon, if this works great then we will get the other ram installed and working, if not we will have to run some tests.

If the above does not work go to you hardrive manufactuers website and download their diagnostic tests. Create a bootable floppy to run the test. With this bootable floppy you won't need windows installed to test the drive just boot from the floppy and follow the instructions and report back what it finds.

We will figuar out whats wrong so bare with me

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.