Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just set up my linksys at college and I've had some strange problems with it. At home my laptop never gets disconnected from it, but here it seems to happen every 10 minutes. The oddest thing is though that when i'm connected, the wireless internet connection in the bottom right corner says that i'm not connected to it, same with the wireless network connection helper. I also can't set any security passwords or I get disconnected. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
7 Posts
You could be experiencing the problem if you are in a college dorm or some type of setting where there may possibly be other wireless access point devices. The other routers could be infringing on your wireless channel or SSID name. I would recommend doing several things to try to "clean up" your connection.
  • Personalize your SSID-name it something like "rguitar86wireless", this can be set in the router setup
  • do not broadcast your SSID-if it can't be seen by everyone you are better off; this can also be set in the router setup
  • change the channel on the SSID to something other than the default setting (11)-this can also be set in the router setup
  • encrypt your wireless connection using WEP or WPA-choose a passphrase that is unqiue, again in the router setup
After making those changes to your Linksys router, you will have to make the change to your laptop. You will need to specify the SSID and encryption key, the channel should set automatically. Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.