Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine said they had a virus and that their virus scanner caught it and fixed it, but ever since this shes had weird problems. After further investigation it seems like her IE just sits at "Site found. Waiting for reply..." forever. I assumed this was an IE problem and did everything I could think of to fix it. She's using Win98SE with IE 6sp1. I ran an IE repair, uninstalled it back to IE5.5, repaired again, ran SFC, ran a registry cleaner, all sorts of things... but still nothing. I decided to try downloading an alternative web browser, Opera specifically, and it seemed to be having the same problems. At this point I was puzzled. Whilest experimenting I noted that all other protocols seemed to work fine, I could FTP, sign on to messagener programs, etc. I then decided to try to access FTP via IE, and it worked. I then decided to try reaching a secure HTTPS site through it, and it also worked fine. It almost seems like outgoing traffic to port 80 is blocked somehow, yet I've closed all her programs including hidden processes, and still nothing. She's not running anykind of firewall, and even if she is I would have closed it... her PC is currently in my house, where I'm much more familiar with the ISP being used and I have a NAT firewall which only blocks incoming ports so it shouldn't be a problem. Does anyone have any clues?! Any utilities to verify open OUTGOING ports or anything? Is there even any way to block specific ports in 98 without the use of additional programs?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, like I said it seems like I can do anything but surf normal HTTP sites. I can ping and trace route the sites no problem. When I try using the IP I have the same problem... it is definitely resolving the host names correctly, as it shows the IP resolved in the lower left right before it gives the "Waiting for reply..." message.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
You can run telnet at a command line over port 80 to a website.
Such as: telnet www.techsupportforum.com:80 .

This gives you: a blinking line in Win2k - meaning it's open and listening. If it fails, something is blocking 80 or it doesn't have it open.

You can use netstat -a to view your open ports on your machine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.