Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Windows 10 Pro 21H1

I've put this in windows 10 because I can only see the files in Command Prompt

I have a NAS running a samba server via openmediavault. I'm logged in on windows with a network shortcut. When I drag and drop files into the root directory of the shared folder, the file disappears from my desktop and does not show up on my remote server. It does not do this behavior with any subfolders. In the subfolders it copies over and the original file stays on my desktop as expected. I've refreshed the page into oblivion and cannot see my files. Using the terminal on the NAS itself I cannot see the files.

When I go into the directory with command prompt on windows, I can see, open and edit some of the test files I made. On the left of the screenshot is Windows explorer navigated to my NAS folder, on the right is what command prompt sees and where my missing files are.

My questions are,

How does this even happen?

How do I access my files with windows explorer?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
hello,

This might be very simple to solve. In the windows file explorer if you go into the view menu at the top of the screen you should have an option that you can turn on that says show hidden files and folders. If that isn’t turned on then turn it on and see if you are able to see the files in windows that you were describing as only being able to be seen in the command prompt.

If it’s already turned on try toggling it off and then back on and check again. Try that out and please report back with your findings.

Sincerely,

WndrWmn

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, thanks for the reply. I tried as you suggested but I still cannot see the files in windows explorer. It's odd to me that I can navigate to the exact same directory in command prompt and have 2 completely different sets of files. As if the hidden files are in another dimension.

Also, after testing I've realized using TeraCopy has something to do with the behavior as the files transfer normally when Tera is disabled. Luckily the files I've lost aren't important, it's a matter of curiosity at this point where the files have gone.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts