Tech Support banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello TSF members

I have a bit of a weird problem and am hoping someone out there can help.

I’ve got a 2.1 speaker set up for my pc. Admittedly it is getting on in years now but it still works. Kind of. (For reference the sound is via Creative Inspire T3100 speakers. Old but they’ve been reliable up to now.)

Here’s the current state of play:

Music from my music collection plays fine at all volumes. No distortion or feedback.

Downloaded music via Spotify plays fine at all volumes. No distortion or feedback.

Audio from Youtube plays fine at all volumes. No distortion or feedback.

Playing games it all goes wrong.

Irrespective of what game I play I have to increase the volume quite a bit so that I can hear it. (In game volume on all games is maxed out) The problem is that by turning up the volume I now get strange audio feedback. It’s difficult to describe the exact sound but it I would say it’s like a mid range humming sound broken up in a Morse code style. The effect is considerably worse when looking at in game menu’s whether at the start of a game or pause menu options.

What I can’t figure out is why it’s only gaming that is affected.

When I switch audio to my headset music and games sound as they are suppose to. Game menus and in game menu do not produce the same weird sound.

My original thought was given the age of the kit it was time to replace them but then I thought why isn't music affected? If there were mechanical parts I could put it down to “Wear and tear” but obviously that’s not the case.

Whilst I could replace/upgrade the speakers I have to admit I’m a little nervous that the same thing will happen with the new speakers and I’ll be lighter in the wallet.

Can anyone throw any light on the issue and offer any advice please?

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to read this and thanks for any replies in advance.

·
Registered
BSOD Analyst Student at Sysnative com
227 Posts
It never happens with the headset? If this is the case then I'd say it's the speakers.
It just started and is it all games or a new game?
There could be a Ohm or resistance issue related to a more or less output of audio signal via gaming.
If you purchase new speakers and it does it with those, send them back to fix the lighter wallet issue.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi xrobwx71

Thanks for your reply.

The weird feedback sound hasn't been present on any game I've played using the headset. Games range in age from Assassin's Creed to Resident Evil 2 to Shadow of The Tomb Raider.

I've been dealing with the feedback for the last couple of weeks.

You mentioned a potential Ohm or resistance issue. Could you elaborate on this please? Why would that potentially be the issue and why would it appear now?

You make a fair point regarding sending back any new speakers. I'll bear that in mind.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
BSOD Analyst Student at Sysnative com
227 Posts
Ohms or resistance. You could have a short, a break in a wire somewhere which can cause

a small change in the flow of current and cause higher resistance which can cause a

hum or RF signal to be picked up in the speaker and output as distorted sound.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahh gotya :thumb:

Thanks for the explanation.

I suspect, if that is the problem and the lack of repair options for it, new speakers will be ordered when the funds are available.

Thanks again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts