Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum but i would appreciate the help. My laptop, which is a HP dv9930us, is just about a year old. A couple of weeks ago i keep hearing this weird fan noise. Its doesn't make the sound all the time, just random points of the day.

The sound is very disturbing because it just sounds like there's something hitting the fan or something. I figured the best way to describe the sound is by making a video of it. If anyone can help, i would really appreciate it. Thanks!

http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l312/ndnxjacobxndn/?action=view&current=MOV01823.flv

·
Decessit
68,880 Posts
hi and welcome to TSF if it is still within warranty get hp to fix it.if not you may need a new fan.or possibly a new coating of heatsink paste.i would go with the fan

·
Registered
12,437 Posts
A few questions...

1. Does it sound like that the moment you power ON (fan spins also at startup)?
  2. Have you visually checked the vents/heatsink areas if dust has accumulated?
  3. Have you tried opening it up and cleaning from the inside (DO NOT DO THIS IF UNDER WARRANTY)?
  4. Have you tried using something like SpeedFan to get an idea of your temps?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
A few questions...

1. Does it sound like that the moment you power ON (fan spins also at startup)?
  2. Have you visually checked the vents/heatsink areas if dust has accumulated?
  3. Have you tried opening it up and cleaning from the inside (DO NOT DO THIS IF UNDER WARRANTY)?
  4. Have you tried using something like SpeedFan to get an idea of your temps?
For the first question, no it does make the sound when i turn the laptop on. Its just at random times when the fan makes that noise.

Question 2, no i have not. I might buy an air duster just to try to clean up the vent

Question 3, I don't think its still under warranty? My tech stuff usually don't break on me so I don't spend money on extended warranties so I'm really not that sure. Ill call HP tomorrow and check if it is.

Question 4, I have Everest and my temps range anywhere from 40C-80C. I really don't know why it goes up to 80C. All i know is that temperature does NOT matter for the fan to make the noise. And for temperature, I'm talking about the CPU temp. Currently it is at 53 C and my laptop is being quite.

Hope that helps clear things? Thanks again.

**EDIT** I just checked the HP Warranty checker and it says that my product is out of warranty

·
Registered
12,437 Posts
Your temps seem to be on the high side. Ideally it should be below 40C. Mine with only the browser running, I have 38/39C CPU and 35C HDD. My simple solution is keeping the vents clear of ANY obstruction (i.e. dust, etc.). I also elevate the side where the vents are (at least quarter of an inch).

Keep us posted after you tried the can of compressed air suggestion. If temps did not improve, try opening it up (the laptop) and clean from the inside.

I suggest you start with these first. It is possible your fan bearing could be worn out and/or your fan needs replacement but it is also possible that the problem is only present if fan spins double time to lower the temps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have been using it everywhere lately. I put it in my book bag so maybe i dropped my book bag. How can i fix it? I also realized that when i tilt my laptop, the noise begins until i tap the bottom of it like i did in the video.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.